How to install xF without breaking existing vB install?

crossovernetwork

I expect this one will get asked a lot next Tuesday, so I figured it'd be good to get some thoughts on this.
[As a precursor, part of my reason for asking is that when I went from wowbb to vB3 I accidentally broke my wowbb install and had to import my database and get vB running right away.]

so, for example my current vb4 forum is at domain/forum using a databse called 'datafor_vb' (it isn't actually called this, it's just an example.)
I want to install my shiny new, exiting xF to my webspace, so that the rest of my admins/mods can get to play with it and generally be as enthusiastic about 'teh shiney'(sic) as I am.
lets say I want to install it to domain/testxf. and use a test_xf database. is that going to be easy enough to do without wrecking my current install? also presumably I'd want to import myvb4 database into my test_xf database when the vB4 importer comes along.
Also presumably I could delete the test_xf database and re-import my vb4 into a new one once I'm ready to go live when xF is considered stable.

I have a production board running 3.8 on one host and got another server where I plan to move my site to after XF installation.
How will the import work across server? Do I have to setup vb 3.8 in the new server to import or all I need is the copy of the database?

Just a copy of the database will suffice. Once you have a copy uploaded to your new server you can use Putty to access the MySql server to insert it. Be sure you write down, for reference, the MySql User Name, Password, Database Name, and Prefix of the 3.8 DB you will be importing from.

I have a production board running 3.8 on one host and got another server where I plan to move my site to after XF installation.
How will the import work across server? Do I have to setup vb 3.8 in the new server to import or all I need is the copy of the database?
To import another forum into XenForo, I believe all that is needed is the database information. I'm not sure if cross-server database imports are possible. If not, then you'd need to do a backup/restore to make sure a copy of your vB or other forum data is on the same MySQL server as your blank XenForo database.

Edit: Lawrence was faster. ;)

In cpanel
-make a database
-assign a user and set the permissions
I briefly touched on that here:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/installation-walk-through-alpha-build.4006/page-4#post-62445

This is how to create a database and a user using cPanel.
  • Click on MySQL Databases
    • Create a new database
      • Database name - myxfdatabase
    • Create a new user for the database
      • Username dbadmin
      • Password dbpassword
    • Add the user to the database
      • Set user permissions to full

Just a copy of the database will suffice. Once you have a copy uploaded to your new server you can use Putty to access the MySql server to insert it. Be sure you write down, for reference, the MySql User Name, Password, Database Name, and Prefix of the 3.8 DB you will be importing from.
Good info, thanks.
How about files, attachments that are not stored in DB but in file systems. Do I have to move them back to DB? Or will XF take the files system as well?

What else in stock VB will not be imported? Do we know?

I think it's fair to point out that people should realize they are downloading a FIRST beta.
There might be problems with the upgrade script, there might be problems with features that have big bugs that could potentially cause data loss. Of course, it shouldn't do anything bad and all goes well. But it IS a beta.

Use a separate account, for the host as well as MySQL and use a separate directory and database.

I briefly touched on that here:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/installation-walk-through-alpha-build.4006/page-4#post-62445

This is how to create a database and a user using cPanel.
  • Click on MySQL Databases
    • Create a new database
      • Database name - myxfdatabase
    • Create a new user for the database
      • Username dbadmin
      • Password dbpassword
    • Add the user to the database
      • Set user permissions to full
Not quite the same as a video for those who do not know how to use cpanel though. A few people that want to buy an xf license and start a forum do not have hosting at this time. I have been trying to help a few people in the background and the written word does not convey how to do things very well.

Good info, thanks.
How about files, attachments that are not stored in DB but in file systems. Do I have to move them back to DB? Or will XF take the files system as well?

What else in stock VB will not be imported? Do we know?

You can also back up your attachments directory and upload it to your new server, maintaining the directory structure. But if you can generate SSH keys, you can have your new server sync your DB BU, and your attachments directory, from the old server at the same time, saving you a lot of time. I wrote a few scripts that do this via my servers cron, ;)

For your second question, it will be difficult to answer until XenForo is gold. I apologize for that.

Top Bottom