XF 2.2 How to do incremental group promotions

P2PLeon82

I have on my site various groups and a local test server that I will use for this.

I want to be able to add a group promotion based on either posts made or length of time a user has been registered.

I will now use my test server and list the groups now.

Admin
Registered
Unregistered
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3.

I want to be able to add group (Post 1) to members who have made their first post.

I want Post 2 to be added and Post 1 to be deactivated thus allowing incremental changes.

then Post 3 for the final group promotion.

For each group that has been promoted I want to disable the former for the latter group in promotion.

If you will explain how I can manage this I will be able to do the Post count and length of time registered on my own.

Thank you for reading

P2PLeon.

Solution
I have posted this in other threads which you have read, but here it is again.

All members are in Registered.

Create two new user groups, 1 and 2.

Create a promotion to promote to group 1, set it for 1 message and "is not a member of" to group 2.

Members will be promoted to group 1 after 1 message.

Create a promotion to group 2 for 2 messages.

Members will be promoted to group 2 when they make 2 posts and removed from group 1.

Alternatively, set the group 1 promotion to no more than x messages set to 1.
For a group promotion, you have either member of or not a member of.

I would like to see a new secondary group as some of the promotions do not work.

If you want a group that has a number of posts posted for either group of bronze, silver, or gold.

these are three individual groups and it just adds all three when promoting. but to save this there should be an option for a new Secondary Group. Instead of being on the first page.

Last edited:
As i have 2 groups, one is a group with 1 post, and second group with 2 posts.

in first i add enforced groups for promotion

then in second group add the first group, but not a member of.

it does not work.

Create a promotion to promote to group 1, set it for 1 message and "is not a member of" to group 2.

Members will be promoted to group 2 when they make 2 posts and removed from group 1.

Solution

Post 1 & Post 2
Post 1 Member of Registered, then what group do I put if having default plus 2 groups.
Members have made 1 Post
What should the permissions be for each group, meaning which ones do I choose.

Not the user group permissions but the perceived permissions on the is or not a member of,
What should be in the first promotion and then the second? As I just cannot get it to work.

Each time I think I have it, it either has both ranks or just the first, I want it to have the latter group and none of the former.

I think I now have the answer.

First Create Groups.

The in the first promotion have the bases for promotion in is a member of.

The in second promotion, still choose bases and also a former group in member of.

I left out the Not a member of and it worked.

I don't understand how group 1 can be removed when promoting to group 2?

I followed your instruction. After making the 2nd post, logout and login again, the user is in group 2 as well as group 1.

It's not immediate, it takes some time for the Cron to start and update the permissions.

I thought the logout login thing already made the cron to run? Coz the user group actually changed to 2 (but still keep 1). Or you mean the deletion is not invoked by the logout login but another system cron job?

If that's the case, there exists a period of time that permissions of 1 and 2 coexists.. That potentially could be a problem.

It's been more than 30mins the group 1 is still there with group 2.

I manually run the Rebuild caches "Rebuild user group promotions" and user group promotion cron job but no help. Group 1 is still there with 2.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware the group 1 promotion will remain active as long as the criteria for that promotion are still met. It is possible to have multiple group promotions active at a time, which is probably what's happening here. You may have to change the criteria for group 1 so that it's no longer met when they're promoted to group 2.

My post above explains exactly how to do it.

As far as I'm aware the group 1 promotion will remain active as long as the criteria for that promotion are still met. It is possible to have multiple group promotions active at a time, which is probably what's happening here. You may have to change the criteria for group 1 so that it's no longer met when they're promoted to group 2.

If one of the criterion is to not be a member of the second group or to have posted no more than x messages then the member will be demoted from the first group in both cases.

Top Bottom