How is XF Beta to be notifed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanj

Please guys I'm not asking for speculkation or guesses. This is a specific question which will benefit us all which can only be answered by the developers (or perhaps a mod authorised to give us definite information).

QUESTION
Having seen the XF beta release info - how will we all be notified of the 24 hour period for early adopters?

~ By notification email to all board members?
~ Or by a notification linked to a specific thread? - if so which thread?
~ Other?

Again - no guesses however well informed please.
This is a request for definite information from our darling devs.

The most logical way is their announcement forum, or their frontpage.
From 30th of September on for 7ish days, it's worth keeping an eye on their announcement forum as well as their frontpage xenforo.com

Thanks Floris.
Trouble is there are a number of logical possibilities here.

Again - no guesses however well informed and logical please.

I am sure the fans will know a minute after it is available, so follow them on facebook, twitter, this forum, irc, etc. And just visit the site once a day. If you visit it once every 24 hours, you will not miss it.

I am sure the fans will know a minute after it is available, so follow them on facebook, twitter, this forum, irc, etc. And just visit the site once a day. If you visit it once every 24 hours, you will not miss it.

Thanks Floris.

This is not a request for ideas on how to keep track.

OK I give up.
If I get sick - which I do - I can't guarantee being able to do anything for around 36 hours. So I'll just have to get left behind if I get ill.

I can see there being quite a few threads where info could turn up. I can ask someone to check my email for a named thread but asking someone who is nursing me to do more than that isn't fair.

I'm a very frequent attender on the board but I can
a) get sick as above blocking out 36 hours
b) have a business crisis which is where the money comes from to buy XF so a high proirity :(
c) have a family crisis (my mother is going to die some time in the coming 3 months
d) I do occasionally take time out from the computer for 24 hours for health and sanity reasons.

Sorry to hear that. Thankfully it's $40 away from the normal price. And it will still be available after the 24h for purchase.

I don't care about the money. I want to be a founding m ember and if I can identify where the advance warning will appear there is no problem.

I really don't see why we can't know where this will appear - e.g know for sure it'll be in the Announcements section.

I think what the OP might be asking is, how much notice will be given before the beta release and, I presume, the start of the 24hour Early Adopter Special Offer? So, if you say the first week in October, will an exact date be given in say, the last week of September or will there not be any notice and it'll just be, the beta is released now and the 24hour period has started.

And I'd suggest following them on twitter.

As others said, I hope we will be informed at least few days earlier about that 24 hour period.
E.g the announcement to be made on Sep 30, informing us that the $100 early adopter release will start on Oct 8 00:01. In that way we can plan for early adopters release.

Thanks.

I'm a very frequent attender on the board but I can
a) get sick as above blocking out 36 hours
b) have a business crisis which is where the money comes from to buy XF so a high proirity :(
c) have a family crisis (my mother is going to die some time in the coming 3 months
d) I do occasionally take time out from the computer for 24 hours for health and sanity reasons.

If any of the above happens, don't you think you should be concerned a little bit more about something other than saving $40?

As others said, I hope we will be informed at least few days earlier about that 24 hour period.
E.g the announcement to be made on Sep 30, informing us that the $100 early adopter release will start on Oct 8 00:01. In that way we can plan for early adopters release.

Thanks.
Be socking that money away. Get ready!

If any of the above happens, don't you think you should be concerned a little bit more about something other than saving $40?

Nasty.

I'm not bothered about the money.
I have devoted a lot of time and interest to XF already and I'd like to be one of the founding members.

Of course it will appear in the Announcements section. Why would it not appear there? It will also be on Facebook and Twitter, as with all our important announcements.

Thank you Kier. That was exactly what I was asking for. Clear, definite information.
(Not everyone uses Twitter or Facebook so where on this forum is key.)

It's common sense though :rolleyes:

It is theoretically yes. But it's a well known and frustrating feature of board user psych that a) Announcements and b) sticked threads, get too little attention. User attention moves first to the lower down dynamic content, and only later - if at all - to Announcements or sticked threads.
This is probably because these types of notices change much less often so one can easily get used to passing them by. They certainly don't need checking at every visit so it can easily slide into later later.
It's one of the reasons why admins use all kinds of tricks to get attention for a new notice in these areas - a news box, features in the cms, moving strips across the top, flashes and buzzes, pm notifications etc etc

I heard about the beta release on this board on a thread in the XF Discussion forum, for example - NOT in Announcements. I found that only because someone posted a link to it in one of the threads I follow.
Well you can get a cheap thrill saying I'm an idiot perhaps if thats your kind of thing. But remember I did base my point on a well known board phenomenon, not just my own behaviour.

My own experience and the data I've collected indicate that there needs to be a good method for indicating a new post has been made in the announcement forum. As far as I am concerned, this is implemented. Now, I visually scan for the change of the forumstatus image. If it changes, I investigate further.

Maybe you could also look at the Twitter and Facebook changes. These three methods are sufficient enough to let the everyone know. If this were the case, there'd be close to no activity when Kier or Mike posts a new thread in the HYS forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom