1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is XenForo so fast?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Deepmartini, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

Other forum software just crawls along. How can you be so fast? Is this because of the servers? Will it be as fast on shared hosting?
  2. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

It's on one server right now, that's also sharing resources with a few other sites. ;)
  3. Deepmartini

Wow! This is impressive. Makes vbulletin look like an ugly slow snail.
  4. thedude

thedude Well-Known Member

i'm assuming efficient coding and proper static content caching as well compressing things like js and css on the initial download...
  5. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

We are not using a particularly fast server, we are just enjoying the benefits of a well-designed, lightweight architecture that has been designed from the outset to be highly flexible, have minimal overheads and very high performance.

I should note that we are not currently running with any of our caching features enabled (they need further testing) but when we turn those on we expect another big boost in performance.
  6. Deepmartini

From a user's perspective this forum software has been a pleasure to use. And forums are fun again!!!
    Puntocom, Nix, Ashley and 1 other person like this.
  7. TNCclubman

TNCclubman Well-Known Member

I looove the speed as my board is sooooo slow on a dedicated server. (vB)
  8. Deepmartini

The software is so fast it's almost like being in a chat room but with the benefits of capturing all the knowledge forever by having it in a forum post. It's the ideal solution!
  9. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

10. Wired

Wired Active Member

How is XenForo so fast? - Liquid Schwartz :)

I agree, it's very speedy for the hammering it's gotten in the past week. Kudos!
    Lawrence, Forsaken and Greg like this.
  11. Mr_Bob

Mr_Bob Well-Known Member

I was going to respond that the Xenforo core is magic and it's powered by dreams, but the real answer is wonderful nonetheless ;).
  12. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Now that is truly impressive.
    :: snoopy dance ::
    Peggy likes this.
  13. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Liquid Schwartz? lol, I loved Spaceballs! :)

XF is fast because developers know what they are doing, :)
    ArnyVee likes this.
  14. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

Lawrence, I see your Schwartz is as big as mine!

15. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

If you manage to have the forum, cms, blogs, gallery, downloads, mods, etc etc... all run on what could be called the average community today, then I think you may just take out the majority of the competition with that alone. Performance is such a big factor in what users want... It is one part right now that alone captivates my curiosity.
  16. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

:eek: :eek: :eek:
  17. Princeton

Princeton Well-Known Member

-less features
    -less code
    -no inline javascript (none to very little)
    -less http requests
    -no tables

classes, functions, and number of queries are kept to a minimum (and optimized)
  18. James

James Well-Known Member

DRY, KISS, REST have all helped towards usability! I do love the speed of this wonderful application though!
  19. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

Exactly. That is what I think when people keep asking about instant messaging / chat box suggestions.
  20. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

How? Because it's the XenForo way.