1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is Nimbus Hosting with the rest of the world (outside UK)?

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by g9a1, Mar 5, 2016.

1. g9a1

g9a1 New Member

It looks like Nimbus Hosting only has servers in the UK. How are page speeds from the US and Canada?

2. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

They have a fair few US and Canada based customers, so I imagine pretty good!

3. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Never had any problems. We use their CDN as well though.

4. g9a1

g9a1 New Member

Are you aware of any specific US based clients? This worries me a little because after an extensive search, most Nimbus clients I've found are in or near the UK.

So far I haven't found one review from a US customer.

5. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I know of several, your best bet is to email tim@nimbushosting.co.uk

6. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

It shouldn't necessarily worry you, in the fact that they are a bad host or anything, but latency is a very big deal when it comes to hosting. CDNs can't cache dynamic content, so when you're dealing with a forum, this becomes a very big deal. What I find absolutely hilarious is that people install all sorts of plugins and caches and such to shave a few milliseconds off their page loadtimes, but then will go with a host that's halfway across the world. That's a stupid way of doing things. Any tiny loadtime you shaved off the site, is going to negated by the large latency.

On average, you're going to find 90-150ms latency from the UK to the east coast US. It's another 70ms or so from the east coast to the west coast. The midwest will be roughly half of that.

If your client base is in Los Angeles, for example, you're talking about a 200+ millisecond delay, for every single bit of information that is received. To put it all into perspective, yes, it's only 1/4 second, but over many pages, or large files, it absolutely adds up.

RoldanLT and BoostN like this.
  7. BoostN

BoostN Active Member

... and I still don't know why people recommend a UK host over providers here in the US. We have providers here in the US that are just as good as Nimbus. I've used them, I know.

WSWD likes this.
  8. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

So true :) (y)

WSWD likes this.
  9. g9a1

g9a1 New Member

Can you name a few?

10. BoostN

BoostN Active Member

KnownHost | WiredTree | ServInt for managed servers. I prefer Linode for a unmanaged VPS.

11. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Us :ROFLMAO: