XF 1.2 How difficult is it to modify the standard message layout like this...?

Stuart Wright

Personally I find it too hard to read when messages were posted in standard Xenforo because the timestamp is hidden down there under the signature. Also the permalink is kind of hidden away.
And I want to create a separator between posts.
In other words, I want to retain this styling from AVForums:
temp.webp
Is this hard?
Thanks

It shouldn't be hard, no. I think I described how to move the post date above it a while ago, I'm sure the rest is just rearranging HTML.

I personally prefer the new XenForo design. I've gotten used to it, it makes sense, and it doesn't disrupt the flow of reading as much as a bar of text that doesn't add much information at the top. I've only seen one other person ask for it (that I've noticed), so I'm not sure how many people actually prefer the old method.

I agree with Jeremy. I like the fact that posts in Xenforo focus on the content and who posted it with much less emphasis on when it was posted.

I'd be happy to give you the code and customize it to suit your needs for free. ;)

sQ59FRZ.png

Thanks very much for your advice everyone and your kind offer, Matthew.
Mike at Audentio has created our design, but I don't want to ask him for a major change this late in the day. But if its minor, then I'll go for it.
Our design is very white. A grey spacer between posts will help, I hope.

Can I ask what you folks think about this idea for the forum list from our designers?
They don't understand how forums work, so have sent a purely aesthetic design idea.
Basically they got rid of the top level node icons and moved everything to the left to use up the space.
Category strips also have a left-margin: -15px to butt up to the left border.
Your feedback appreciated and don't pull any punches. Thanks

temp.webp

Note that we have an addon which displays current viewers to the right of the number of messages, so having the extra width in this area helps fit that information in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback, Steve. One criticism of our design is that it's very white. For other reasons, the main background outside of the content area has to be #FFFFFF.

upload_2013-9-7_6-48-9.webp
and the latest post info with its grey background does tend to break that up somewhat. Although repositioning it might be an idea. I'm welcoming all feedback at this point. Thanks.

I'd be happy to give you the code and customize it to suit your needs for free. ;)

sQ59FRZ.png
Hey Matthew, would you be able to give me the instructions I need to achieve the above please with the addition of the permalink moved up in the top right of the bar?
Also the link to the poster's name to the left of the Edit button is redundant, isn't it? Clicking it is the same as clicking the Avatar, in't it?

I want to display the time as well as the date where appropiate. Here is my mockup. Many thanks

temp2.webp

Top Bottom