1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How easy or difficult is it to integrate the forum userbase with third party mod

Discussion in 'XenForo Development Discussions' started by Renegade, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Renegade

Renegade Well-Known Member

Since there are no takers for my paid add-on request on xenforo, I am planning to get it done from outside.

Other freeelancers of course will not have as much competency in working on XenForo. So my question is how difficult will it be to integrate the userbase and a couple of page view permissions to an add-on developed outside xenforo environment.

Is there something specific that I should tell the developer to keep in mind?

2. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

If one is familiar enough with OOP, difficulty shouldn't be that much of an issue. Otherwise I'd just direct them to viewing the thread here as they are very helpful with starting an add-on.

You could also have them post in the add-on developer forums to get any questions answered they may have during development.

Renegade likes this.
  3. Renegade

How about the DB, how is it setup for the add-on. New tables in the same DB?

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

ya, just prefix your addon tables .. addonname_tablename and you won't have any conflicts.

Renegade likes this.
  5. CurveGotti

CurveGotti Active Member

if your addon is going to use a very common name "chatbox" for example, it may be smart to double prefix it with addondeveloper_addonname_tablename that way if you install another similar feature in the future they don't clash.

6. Renegade

So finally the add-on is done and I have mixed feelings about the outcome. I am absolutely not satisfied but there are a few things I can live with.

What I absolutely cannot live with is the fact that the addon's breadcrumb is stuck on one static link. And the URL are not user friendly, they do not display the name but the article number in the URL.

Are these things too hard to build/integrate?

7. ragtek

ragtek Guest

IMHO your developer didn't make a good job...
    They are absolutely not hard to implement

8. User

User Well-Known Member

May as well post who did the work so that others don't get stuck with the same dev.

9. Renegade

Well as posted earlier he is not a XF coder but if I do notice him around I will let everyone know :p

10. ragtek

ragtek Guest

IMHO he was a good coder, but he got a "bad" example add-on, where he tried to "learned" how to code add-ons
    My 0.02$:)

11. Renegade

Wish I could say more about that without hurting the example add-on developer.

Anyway which add-on would you suggest as a good example. :)

12. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

LN Blog is a good example of doing things standard to the XenForo code base (at least in my opinion).

Onimua put a lot of effort in being as clean and efficient in his work.

Onimua and Panupat like this.
  13. Panupat

Panupat Well-Known Member

I'll have to check that out. Learning here myself.