XF 2.0 How can I revert from v2 back to v1

ibaker

I have been running XF v2 for a few months now and I don't like it, no matter how much I try to plus the number of substantial addons are just not being developed for v2 7 months after its release. Many v1 addons are just not even being updated. Perhaps in a year or 2 things may be different but currently v2 is just not easy to create a large broad site solution so I am wondering what others think would be needed to roll back to v1.x and if it is possible with some minor db table field adjustments for an export/import scenario.

Thanks for any advice

(note, I do have a backup of my last v1 site prior to upgrade to v2)

Well, the one thing that definitely was not hyped for XF2 was a blog addon. If it's that important to you to have one, it should have been an easy decision to stick with 1.5 until one was released for 2. Live and learn.
I wasn't after a blog addon but I get your point.

There are a few other addons that I use but they were developed specifically for me which I knew I would have to get updated anyway. For example an RSS News Reader that displays the source web page instead of just cut off text:

1.webp 3.webp 2.webp

I also had a Google Map addon based on Lat and Lng to display specific locations (In my case Airstrips). I paid someone to develop that from the vb app that I had developed, costing me money each time, but then the developer released it here for free called Hotspots and which now another developer is making money from it and there has been no mention of that being upgraded to v2. So I know I will have to pay again for that to be upgraded

Right, sorry, it was someone else who mentioned a blog addon. But yeah, same principle applies. The fact you had all these features you had to have custom developed for 1.5, and no promises by anyone that they would be updated for 2, really makes me wonder what you were thinking when it came to upgrading. I'm just not sure I get why you seem to be putting at least some of the blame on XF, when you talk about falling for the hype, because I don't see how any "hype" to do with XF2 had anything to do with your current predicament. ;)

But anyway, good luck getting everything sorted out.

I'm just not sure I get why you seem to be putting at least some of the blame on XF
Show me where I have done that, I haven't placed any blame on XF in this thread (why do people always try and start fights in forums these days). I have said I (note "I") have made the mistake from the hype one gets from news of a new release of any software

I'm not trying to start a fight. You might have meant something else, but it came across differently to me when you said "but I fell to all the hype." I'm thinking now that you must have just meant that you thought everyone and his brother would be jumping on the XF2 bandwagon and upgrading all their XF1 addons (including your custom ones) for XF2, which unfortunately was just an assumption on your part, not based on anything anyone actually promised. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

I know many people said it couldn't be done but I am just about finished reverting back by a lot of database work and it is looking good. There is only a couple pieces of info that is gone like user.gender for new users but not much really at all. If you know databases and can write SQL it doesn't seem to be an issue at this stage. Some work with attachments and some other things, there is a bit of work in it but it can be done

I will do data validation and full testing tomorrow but initial testing is good

Last edited:
I upgraded to XF2 a couple of weeks ago.
I have removed some of the not so needed addons. I have also moved the blogs to a forum, with special rights for the thread starter.
My classifieds are very few nowadays they are also in a forum. If there where more of them I would probably have used Custom thread fields to make it more like a classified, only making use of prefixes now.
I also have a news forum, using Custom thread fields.

Widgets are a nice addition in core, I use them a lot.

Still missing a few addons but it is working fine on XF2. Old forum with nearly 8 million posts.

I appreciate that XF keeps their cards close to their chest. But considering the 2.0 demo was launched 16 months ago, and has been running live on XF.com for over 8 months now it would be nice at some point to get an update as to what will be included in 2.1 and when (roughly) it and any accompanying 1st party add ons will be released. Especially for the benefit of sites who have made the jump early, so they can figure out where to direct their funds and manage expectations, and so customers can understand where the team plan to take the XF ecosystem from here over the next 12-24 months.

I appreciate that XF keeps their cards close to their chest. But considering the 2.0 demo was launched 16 months ago, and has been running live on XF.com for over 8 months now it would be nice at some point to get an update as to what will be included in 2.1 and when (roughly) it and any accompanying 1st party add ons will be released. Especially for the benefit of sites who have made the jump early, so they can figure out where to direct their funds and manage expectations, and so customers can understand where the team plan to take the XF ecosystem from here over the next 12-24 months.
Well, I'm pretty them not announcing anything yet is a direct result of them announcing the 2.0 release early and then getting a lot of irate demands for them to hurry up and get it done. So they get flak for announcing too early and they get flak for not announcing early enough.... But at this point, I'm with you, it would be nice to get some kind of announcement soon. Maybe any day now? :unsure:

XenForo devs never give a roadmap. Any ne and upcoming features are generally posted in the “Have you seen...?” forum.
I know they did say something somewhere about some exciting 2.1 announcement coming "soon," but I think that was a couple months ago and I can't remember for sure where it was mentioned.

I know they did say something somewhere about some exciting 2.1 announcement coming "soon," but I think that was a couple months ago and I can't remember for sure where it was mentioned.

Sure, that was here, https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-2-0-discussion.79603/page-156#post-1226428

Chris D said:
We’re not going to provide a running commentary on development, but I can at least confirm that development of XF2.1 is well under way. And, as is typical with our previous releases and that of our competitors, more details will be released via the HYS forum closer to the time.

That's not the one I had in mind. I think it was maybe mentioned in one of the update announcements, and it said there would be an announcement or news concerning 2.1 coming soon. Anyway, doesn't really matter, it will be whenever it is, I guess. :)

Okay, for the record, my memory was perhaps colored more by wishful thinking than what was actually said. I think this is probably the statement I had in mind (part of the 2.0.3 update on March 14): "We have some pretty big plans for XenForo 2.1 and we are working hard towards it so expect some exciting updates on that in the coming months." I might have been thinking "soon" when in fact "months' could of course mean those updates might actually still be several months off. :(

Top Bottom