XF 2.0 How can I revert from v2 back to v1

ibaker

I have been running XF v2 for a few months now and I don't like it, no matter how much I try to plus the number of substantial addons are just not being developed for v2 7 months after its release. Many v1 addons are just not even being updated. Perhaps in a year or 2 things may be different but currently v2 is just not easy to create a large broad site solution so I am wondering what others think would be needed to roll back to v1.x and if it is possible with some minor db table field adjustments for an export/import scenario.

Thanks for any advice

(note, I do have a backup of my last v1 site prior to upgrade to v2)

I will be patient and just wait for some addons, or hire some customization. I do like XF2 structure and performance. But I guess patience is the key here.

Install that version and restore your database backup.
I would lose too much of the threads/posts over the last 2 months being on v2.

One option may be to convert my current v2 site to IPB then convert to XF v1.x however I have noticed many XF users now just moving over to IPB.

I might have a look at deleting the data in some of the v1.x db tables and manipulating the data from the v2 db into the v1.x db...afterall it is all just data in a db which may be able to be manipulated to suit

why people update XF1 to XF2 i realy want to know, and they know add ons are not ready, style not ready and more.

advice for any who want upgrade from XF1 dont do it, XF2 only for start new forum!

One option may be to convert my current v2 site to IPB then convert to XF v1.x however I have noticed many XF users now just moving over to IPB.
Make sure that there is a converter to convert from IPB 4.2.x to XF 1.x
(If you have an earlier IPB script it should not be a problem)

why people update XF1 to XF2 i realy want to know, and they know add ons are not ready, style not ready and more.

advice for any who want upgrade from XF1 dont do it, XF2 only for start new forum!

Completely disagree!

We lost @Bob’s Sports addons which sucks but XF2 is so much cleaner than XF1 and our users love it.

I am totally happy that I updated three forums from xf1 to xf2. The style is certainly ready, the xenforo addons are ready.

I only upgraded onece I was sure all the addons I needed were available. (But also took the opportunity to review some that really were not that necessary and do a bit of a cull)

But I have to advise anyone that if they don't like the style, or have xf1-only addons that they rely on, then don't do it for obvious reasons.

I have been running XF v2 for a few months now and I don't like it, no matter how much I try to plus the number of substantial addons are just not being developed for v2 7 months after its release. Many v1 addons are just not even being updated. Perhaps in a year or 2 things may be different but currently v2 is just not easy to create a large broad site solution so I am wondering what others think would be needed to roll back to v1.x and if it is possible with some minor db table field adjustments for an export/import scenario.

Thanks for any advice

(note, I do have a backup of my last v1 site prior to upgrade to v2)
Pretty sure no software supports downgrading, as the upgrade changes a lot of structure.

What addon's are you exactly waiting for? A lot of the large ones aren't quite ready, but all the devs I've talked to are either working on them, or planning out the new structure or preparing to work on them.

I am currently reviewing IPS with their demo (again) as v4.3 has been released so this is my thoughts

Basically my site needs:
Forums (XF v1 has a great html based template system, v2 is more XF syntax based and requires a big learning curve, IPB requires learning curve)
Gallery (both XF v1, v2 and IPB have this but XF v2 I think is the better one)
Downloads (both XF v1, v2 and IPB have this - I am told IPB downloads is the better one)
Clubs (XF v1 and 2 has an addon but IPB one is far superior)
Classifieds (XF v1 has an addon but not v2 - IPB have an incredible addon available for this HERE)
CMS (For articles etc - XF v1 has an addon but not v2 - IPB has one built in)
Shop (I currently use CS-Cart which is more powerful than the IPB Commerce - I have an XF-CSCart Bridge with SSO developed for XF v1 so it needs to be upgraded anyway whether XF v2 or IPB)
Expo (A section to list suppliers - see attached screenshot - XF v1 has an addon but not v2 or IPB)
Showcase (XF v1 has a Showcase addon only, XF v2 and IPB doesn't)

As per a comparison on smaller features it is very much swings and roundabouts like IPB can allow Admins to use HTML, XF doesn't (but does have a a currently non workable addon)...

The likelihood of XF addons to be developed to suit my needs is either not going to happen or will take a long time before anything is available

I have made the huge mistake and upgraded my current site a few months ago to XF v2 so a roll back to v1 is not really possible easily

@Bob has some great addons to suit but not currently for v2 so they could be a year away. A great Classifieds addon is a MUST but that may never happen or take a year to be useable if one is being developed.

Attachments

• 1.webp
    1.webp
    96 KB · Views: 26
I am currently reviewing IPS with their demo (again) as v4.3 has been released so this is my thoughts

Basically my site needs:
Forums (XF v1 has a great html based template system, v2 is more XF syntax based and requires a big learning curve, IPB requires learning curve)
Gallery (both XF v1, v2 and IPB have this but XF v2 I think is the better one)
Downloads (both XF v1, v2 and IPB have this - I am told IPB downloads is the better one)
Clubs (XF v1 and 2 has an addon but IPB one is far superior)
Classifieds (XF v1 has an addon but not v2 - IPB have an incredible addon available for this HERE)
CMS (For articles etc - XF v1 has an addon but not v2 - IPB has one built in)
Shop (I currently use CS-Cart which is more powerful than the IPB Commerce - I have an XF-CSCart Bridge with SSO developed for XF v1 so it needs to be upgraded anyway whether XF v2 or IPB)
Expo (A section to list suppliers - see attached screenshot - XF v1 has an addon but not v2 or IPB)
Showcase (XF v1 has a Showcase addon only, XF v2 and IPB doesn't)

As per a comparison on smaller features it is very much swings and roundabouts like IPB can allow Admins to use HTML, XF doesn't (but does have a a currently non workable addon)...

The likelihood of XF addons to be developed to suit my needs is either not going to happen or will take a long time before anything is available

I have made the huge mistake and upgraded my current site a few months ago to XF v2 so a roll back to v1 is not really possible easily

@Bob has some great addons to suit but not currently for v2 so they could be a year away. A great Classifieds addon is a MUST but that may never happen or take a year to be useable if one is being developed.
You actually have very strict requirements, why did you even upgrade before things were ready?

Thinking that the addons would be upgraded within a month or two but I fell to all the hype...anyway it's spilt milk now
Well, the one thing that definitely was not hyped for XF2 was a blog addon. If it's that important to you to have one, it should have been an easy decision to stick with 1.5 until one was released for 2. Live and learn.

Top Bottom