XF 2.2 I accidentally selected Yes to all administrative options and wanted to know how I can change it back

spirogg

hello sorry to bother you,

I just purchased xenforo and resources app.

I was trying to see the different option in user group administrative and by accident i selected in the drop down YES to all settings..
so to my suprise that was a no no...

I am still getting use to and trying to read the manual for how settings work, but I wanted somehow? if there was a way to revert back to original settings in the user groups?

how can I do this or is there a file where I might be able to upload to charge these permission back the way they were when first installed ?

PS: This would be a great Idea (Feature Request) if it's not in ACP already : for a revert button to change the user group settings for each user group administrator moderator registered etc. to revert back to original settings as if you did a fresh install, this would help dummies like me alot :)

If anyone can help me get these setting back in order or tell me where to So i can do this would be Super Awesome and totally appreciated

Thank you so much

Spiro

There is no revert option.

It doesn't really matter what the defaults are out of the box, just set them as you wish.

However, if you want to see what the defaults are, use the online demo.

thanks for this Idea great :) i appreciate that

is there a folder / file that has these settings just out of curiosity in the upload folder ?
just wondering or is it saved in database only ?

thanks for your reply
regards,
Spiro

Only in the database.
1605921897574.webp

this is the analyzer for admin, a little confused as to why moderating an some administrative shows NO but registered user shows YES?

Just seems the settings don't make sense as I look at this screen shot, even though it says YES left of the (details) it says NO right of moderating and administrative

I'm trying to read the manual to try and understand why is shows this way for administrative and moderators and registered users in group setting but still not grasping it.. seems as admins and moderators should also be YES if registered users is YES on the right side instead of no.. so i am must be missing something in how it works.

any guidance is much appreciate in the most simplest form of wording :)

thanks again

Spiro

what is the difference of these 2 functions> user group and >user group permissions

cause they both look the same ?

Also reading your post about registered users having secondary check marks on admin and moderator >
the way you showed in your write up and photo you have selected registered and then have check marks on secondary *admin *moderator

but It seems you can only add those when adding a user from ACP but I can't find this ?
is there a setting I am missing to set the default for every user group like that ?

thanks again for your help

Spiro

If you are going to be using group promotions, upgrades, etc. and you want XF to behave correctly, yes. For mods and admin, you don't have to. But it's good practice to.

If you are going to be using group promotions, upgrades, etc. and you want XF to behave correctly, yes. For mods and admin, you don't have to. But it's good practice to.
thanks for your reply but I can't find how to add this as a default value even when adding a user group> it does not have that option to set that user group to registered and secondary admin moderator as @Brogran shows in his writeup photo

It a user setting.
ok so this is only when I add a user - or a moderator or administrator .

otherwise a registered user has this a default ?
and any new user I add including a registered user I need to add this as default ?

so what if I want to change a registered user(s) to another user group, will that setting inherit for regular registered user?
then all I have to worry about is just managing the permissions for the new user group but all users added to this usergroup will have that setting already

one other question if you don;t mind <user group settings> and usergroup permission settings are 2 different things..)

im reading the docs from xenforo
user group settings are the default settings for all groups.
user group permissions will inherit > user group settings >
then when I want to select YES or NO for a setting I will always use user group permissions to adjust a specific user group?

that's how I am understanding it is this correct ?

sorry for all the questions and I totally appreciate you helping me

thanks so Much

Spiro

When a user registers they are in the Unconfirmed group and when they confirm they are in Registered. There's nothing you have to do! If you want to add special permissions for users that have made a few posts you might create a group called Registered Plus. Then in your User Group Promotions, you would add the criteria for them to be automatically promoted. When they are promoted (let's say after 5 posts) they remain in Registered, and Registered Plus is added as a secondary group. Again there is nothing YOU have to do here. When you change groups manually, yes, you would want to keep Registered as primary. Let's say you want to add one person to your Article Writer group. That would be secondary.

PS. To show user group banners you increase the Display Styling Priority number of the one you want to show. So if you want a user to show as an Article Writer, and the Registered group is at 100, you would set AW to 200.

PS. To show user group banners you increase the Display Styling Priority number of the one you want to show. So if you want a user to show as an Article Writer, and the Registered group is at 100, you would set AW to 200.
thank you so much for that explanation... this is so helpful to a beginner

@beerForo just make sure: am I correct in my statement earlier that if I create a user group the settings i make here will be the default and to add or subtract later I would use the user group permissions to make changes YES or NO or NEVER otherwise it will just inherit the settings i made when creating the user group

thanks again so much

totally appreciate you!!!!

regards,
Spiro

Pretty much. Just remember Never means never. And Yes overrides No but not Never, because of the aforementioned. Never works when you want to make sure a group never sees or does something. But if you want to grant a group a permission and they are also in the Never group they will not be granted. So in most cases you will be using No and Yes. But in some instances Never comes in handy for 100% security. This way you know if you mess up a permission somewhere else, they still won't be granted.

well I am back for another question

Example:
I created a user group called Registered Pro .
I added a user as registered primary and then selected Registered Pro

Is this all I need to do to add this user to the new user group ?

1605935202971.webp

I am trying to make sure I have it correct?
--------------------------------------------------------------

Now if I were to want to add a moderator

would I select Registered user - Primary
then check moderator and Registered Pro

and that would be setup for the moderators ?

1605936372347.webp

and if I wanted to add an admin, I would select Registered user - Primary
then select admin plus moderator and Registered Pro

and that would be all setup for the admins?

1605936037408.webp

thanks just trying to get it correct

Regards,

Spiro

The groups only hold the basic group permissions, you set mod and admin permissions (duties) here:
Groups & permissions
Staff
-Moderators
-Administrators

Last edited:
The groups only hold the basic group permissions, you set mod and admin permissions (duties) here:
Groups & permissions
Staff
-Moderators
-Administrators
1605939347704.webp

after clicking on one of these links it asks me to add moderator or administrator
then I search for the user and set permissions there YES ?

then add them : Example below: for a super moderator and check mark here the ones i did. ?>

1605939708688.webp

but do I add every user / Registered Primary
and also check mark administrator and Moderator

or is this only for admins and moderators

- regular users will just be Registered Primary and nothing else selected

I'm so sorry there are alot of settings - I am really trying to read docs then go back n forth to learn i hope you are bothered with me posting questions, really trying to learn

thank
SPiro

Top Bottom