Hover Over Title Is Awesome

Brandon_R

You're probably reading this from an overlay in the forum or search results, if so doesn't it rock?

Just a mockup of what a thin vs think border looks like.

Thick
screen-shot-2010-08-27-at-8-54-24-am-png.1289

Thin
screen-shot-2010-08-27-at-8-53-36-am-png.1288

Now that i have seen it with the thinner border, i think the big border looks better.

If you think it will help brandon. You could insert both screenshots of the thin and thick border so newcomers to the thread don't miss the shots (as it's buried in posts) and saves future responses recommending the border would look better thinner.

Have I ever told you that I am totally jealous of your graphics skills? I'd be stumped for visualizing things if it wasn't for geniuses like you making pretty pictures that explain everything nicely and without the need for imagination and a million words trying to describe things.

Thanks Kerry appreciate the comments and I quite enjoy doing these mockups. :)

Yes, maybe just a little bit too thick and just a little too dark coloured. It really stands out very much on the otherwise light design, I agree.
But, still looks great.

I am not sure if it is intended design, but I still feel a bit the appearance of the tooltip is a bit too strong, compared to the otherwise light style design of XF. It is the combination of the thick border, the really dark colour of it and... the rather big radius of the drop shadow. It all makes it look a bit clunky and too much 'in your face'.

My 2 cents. What do other people think?

(Still... looks great even now ;).)

It's in keeping with the quick navigation menu and the style chooser and 'Show all' likes overlays etc., do you think they need changing too?

modern design - glossy transparent border reminds of Apple-design.
No changes needed, please keep as is.

Why not also have a blue-transparent border for the Member-Card ?

modern design - glossy transparent border reminds of Apple-design.
No changes needed, please keep as is.

Why not also have a blue-transparent border for the Member-Card ?

I wouldn't imagine this wouldn't look all that great as the thread preview border acts as a visual container to stop the eyes wandering, where the member card pops out at you, in full clarity with the background fading away which acts as that visual container so to speak. I too feel the member card looks perfect and would feel adding to it would bloat it.

The member card is the lightbox whereas the poll is the bluebox. The large border looks good on the bluebox but not on the lightbox but this is the exception although if we want to ensure conssitency we might want to make the border smaller.

I wouldn't imagine this wouldn't look all that great as the thread preview border acts as a visual container to stop the eyes wandering, where the member card pops out at you, in full clarity with the background fading away which acts as that visual container so to speak. I too feel the member card looks perfect and would feel adding to it would bloat it.

this is already available and implemented at the "Quick Navigation Menu" as well........

It's in keeping with the quick navigation menu and the style chooser and 'Show all' likes overlays etc., do you think they need changing too?

No, I don't think they need changing to. Why would I? Those elements you refer to are not in the way of my browsing experience... the tooltip is. That is the difference.

No, I don't think they need changing to. Why would I? Those elements you refer to are not in the way of my browsing experience... the tooltip is. That is the difference.
You said:
the appearance of the tooltip is a bit too strong, compared to the otherwise light style design of XF. It is the combination of the thick border, the really dark colour of it and... the rather big radius of the drop shadow
... and I pointed out that the exact same border and shadow are used on the quick navigation menu, the style chooser, the poll results and 'show all likes' overlays. If you think that the border styling is not in keeping with the rest of the XenForo style, surely these other components which use the same border styling are also not in keeping? I am confused as to what you are suggesting.

It is done in a great way, but personally I think I will turn it off on my board.
Users who want to know what the provoking thread title is about, can click on it.
This will increase page impressions, ad loads, and clicks. And basically board activity.

It's a bit too much when it pops up, while my focus on a thread title is shorter than average additional time I add trying to go through these pop ups.

I think a way more subtle thin bordered version of less characters, and no additional info, will be enough. At most.

But maybe that's just my preference.

It looks great, but I hate these sorts of pop ups myself, I want to read the thread title, and move through the list, and not get bothered by distracting elements. At most I want to know if it's a) new content, or b) if there's new content to threads I've participated in.

In the coming week, we will be moving the tooltip above the title, which I'm sure will make the popup less intrusive. Unfortunately, doing so means that we have to abandon out current javascript implementation for it, as it doesn't support some of the positioning logic, otherwise I would have already rolled it out here.

[Edit: this is now implemented]

Top Bottom