Hotmail blacklisted, how to get off this list

dutchbb

Users with hotmail or live addresses do not receive emails from our site. Why does MS block our emails while all other providers don't? And how do I get off this list?

Got 3 emails:

12:47

We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.

Conditionally mitigated
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) qualify for conditional mitigation. These IP(s) have been unblocked, but may be subject to low daily email limits until they have established a good reputation.

Please note that mitigating this issue does not guarantee that your email will be delivered to a user’s inbox.

Ongoing complaints from users will result in removal of the mitigation.

Mitigation may take 24 - 48 hours to replicate completely throughout our system.

If you feel your issue is not yet resolved, please reply to this email and one of our support team members will contact you for further investigation.

We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.

Not qualified for mitigation
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation.

Please ensure your emails comply with the Outlook.com policies, practices and guidelines found here: http://mail.live.com/mail/policies.aspx.

To have Deliverability Support investigate further, please reply to this email with a detailed description of the problem you are having, including specific error messages, and an agent will contact you.

13:01

Not qualified for mitigation
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation.

Please ensure your emails comply with the Outlook.com policies, practices and guidelines found here: http://mail.live.com/mail/policies.aspx.

To have Deliverability Support investigate further, please reply to this email with a detailed description of the problem you are having, including specific error messages, and an agent will contact you.

So that's it our IP is blacklisted forever? Any way out of this MS nightmare?

Amazon SES delivers to the inbox for 1 USD / 10.000 mails.

For your mails: setup dkim (to proof your mails are not modified) and spf (its you who send this mail, if someone else mails in your name: your spf record shows it)

You should request a new IP from your host as there is great chance that you're suffering for someone else's sin. If things not get better you should try third party email delivery services as suggested by @Marcus (although the price is bit higher then what he calculated but it would be affordable)

@Marcus, you must be using EC2 but for other clients the pricing is bit tricky sometimes. Here are main points from page you shared:
  • Email messages are charged at $0.10 per 1,000
  • Emails to the Amazon SES Mailbox Simulator, emails sent to regular recipients, and emails received are billed separately.
  • $0.12 per GB of attachments sent
From my experience the price do go a little bit high from what they're advertising but as I said its still very reasonable compared to Sendgrid, Mandrill etc.

I didnt know about the simulator. Thanks for sharing.

As xenforo doesnt send attachments I really think 95% of admins (<50.000 user boards) are paying one or a few dollars a month for that service.

I also setup dkim myself once. It did took me some hours to complete that. It is satisfying to do that, but as I had to compile my solution from source, yum or apt-get didnt work and I would have to manually re do that from time to time.
After that you have to film out forms from microsoft aol etc for whitelisting your IP or mail address.

But yes, setting up AWS SES also takes a few hours (and a day for requesting non sandbox sending).

Emailed back and a support guy was able to help, got positive feedback from a member so it seems ok for now. @Brogan: thanks again. @Marcus & @ForumCube also thanks, but I never paid for e-mail delivery since our hosting/server could always handle it in normal circumstances.

Well the problem came back, so we got a new IP and it just happens again. Does anyone else have this problem with hotmail? Any help is appreciated.

Schermafbeelding 2015-11-21 om 19.05.06.webp

If you have a fairly busy forum, you may have some users that are getting alerts that don't want them any longer. They may be to lazy to go back to the forum to turn alerts off or just simply marking them as spam when they get them - ergo your site gets blacklisted pretty quickly.
I'd see about find a way to turn ALL email notifications off for ALL users, then post a notice that if they want to receive email notifications they MUST opt in and point at a thread on what to do when they want to opt out. In that thread explain NOT to be marking them as spam.
I NEVER set any of my forums as default to opt-in to email alerts on sign up. The user has to specifically allow that.

Reactions: Xon
I was going to comment on that. That error just means it's an invalid email. Automated bounce processing would automatically pick that up and stop sending email to it.

Got a standard reply from ms support. So far no bounce entries in the log, but no error mails either. Fingers crossed that it's over.

Well, this was a lot easier than I was expecting! Submitted and within an hour I got this response....
Code:

Conditionally mitigated
xxx.xxx.xx.xx
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) qualify for conditional mitigation. These IP(s) have been unblocked, but may be subject to low daily email limits until they have established a good reputation.

Please note that mitigating this issue does not guarantee that your email will be delivered to a user’s inbox.

Ongoing complaints from users will result in removal of the mitigation.

Mitigation may take 24 - 48 hours to replicate completely throughout our system.

If you feel your issue is not yet resolved, please reply to this email and one of our support team members will contact you for further investigation.

Top Bottom