Hosts and Your DB back up

eagle eyes

How long does it take for your host to create a database back up for you?

1) Less than 24 hours.
2) 2 days
3) 20 days

In most user cases it shouldn't take longer than 24 hours (much, much less in fact). What type of package are you on and what control panel do they offer you (for example, cPanel)?

If cPanel, you could log into phpMyAdmin and export your database or generate a backup and export the database from that backup. If you don't have cPanel (or phpMyAdmin), you could look for a tool similar enabling you to export databases.

Be sure to check your DB in case it isn't a complete one. In which case contact your host which shouldn't take long at all.

Last edited:
If cPanel, you could log into phpMyAdmin and export your database or generate a backup and export the database from that backup. If you don't have cPanel (or phpMyAdmin), you could look for a tool similar enabling you to export databases.
And hope like the devil that phpMyAdmin doesn't do it's standard crap out on the exportation of the DB and give you an incomplete one. Backups via phpMyAdmin are the WORST way to do a backup.
Unluckily there aren't that many options for a shared hosting user. I'd rather do a full cPanel backup than try to do separate DB/File structure ones.

I don't rely on my host (Amazon.com) but handle this task in house. We have it set up to back up every morning at like 3:00 am.

My host offers full site and database backups daily with a 30 day history for £3/month which I use. I try and take a mysqldump once a month just in case.

Top Bottom