1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting Recommendations

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by Core Freedom, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Core Freedom

Core Freedom Well-Known Member

Hi all, some of you have been participating in my other post where I'm talking about my entire forum having been hacked and stolen. I have been using Hostgator for years and never had an issue with them but now that someone seems to deliberately hack into my account over and over again (3 times this past week), Hostgator is proving to suck as a service.

Have any of you had MAJOR security issues in the past and has your hosting company placed security measures in place that prevented hackers from getting in?

If so, I'd love to know which hosting companies you can recommend! :)

Nathan Baker likes this.
  2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

As per my post in another thread, I highly recommend Nimbus Hosting.

I'll ask them to speak with you.

I don't believe they offer US servers. But our server (ValveTime.net) is UK despite most of our membership being US and the reported performance of the server is better than ever.

Nathan Baker and Core Freedom like this.
  3. Core Freedom

Core Freedom Well-Known Member

Thanks, Chris!

4. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

A great opportunity to learn more about hardening linux yourself ;) Even if you don't want the responsibility of doing it yourself, at least knowing about it will help. I suggest taking a peek at http://www.gridvirt.com/blog/beginners-linux-security-guide-centos-6-2/ whilst not comprehensive, it takes the time to explain things in simple english, which is what I imagine you would want.

Nimbus seem like a great service, I had a chat with them on Chris' recommendation, and they seem to be realy enthusiastic about their work, which is always a good thing :)

Core Freedom and Chris D like this.
  5. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

I'm using Rackspace which is more towards the enterprise/business audience so their cost is much higher but there is a layer of stability/support that is not available from budget hosts.

Core Freedom likes this.
  6. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, I use rackspace for one of my large enterprise clients. These guys are second to none on support. Unfortunately I can little afford them for my own site.

Core Freedom likes this.
  7. BenForum

BenForum Active Member

psx and Core Freedom like this.
  8. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Yeap. If you are a business and your clients are large business, using cheap/budget hosts can be seen as a liability.

Core Freedom likes this.
  9. Robby

Robby Well-Known Member

I've always be very happy wit hawkhost. Been two years with them and have no copmplaints whatso ever. No downtime and always great and fast support.

Core Freedom likes this.
  10. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

I'm with Chris on NimbusHosting. Heck, IIRC it was us who sent him there :)

Tim and his team are awesome, and we've been with them from the very beginning. No question is ever too stupid (and believe me, I pulled a few dumb ones), and they are always helpful. They're not as cheap as Hostgator, but their customer support and reliable services more than make up for it.

11. RWHP

RWHP Active Member

I have found the best way to measure your host and speed is to run the following command. You will be amazed at what some so called dedicated servers and wannabe FAST hosts are really providing you.

Run this: dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

Post your results:

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.23856 seconds, 487 MB/s

This is a VPS at Barrett Networks

Core Freedom likes this.
  12. RWHP

RWHP Active Member

I have negotiated a great discount to my friends of xenforo

Use promo code : xenforo30

This will give you a one time 30% discount

You can choose monthly or annual and still get the full 30% off

Please notice that I have no affiliation and have put no affiliate code in url to direct members to checkout this great hosting option and awesome discount.

I only do this because so many of the members of this community have always helped me out and I like to do anything I can do or give back to them.

Core Freedom likes this.
  13. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

not too long ago i had a test website hosted on a virtual with servage. there was a filezilla ftp client exploit making the rounds whereby the malicious user would steal your ftp passwords from the ftp client, then log into your website ftp and embed code in your files. i was completely unaware that this had happened to me, but servage caught it within hours and locked down my account, changed all my login passwds, and sent me an email explaining what had happened. i dont remember much else about servage, but that level of proactive security sure did leave an impression on me.

Core Freedom likes this.
  14. Quiver

Quiver Active Member

You can always try Rat Hosting Solutions.
    I am the owner and I am cPanel Certified.
    I also run my own XenForo forum there. :)
    It runs very smoothly and it's very fast.
    I can't recommend other hosts for XenForo,
    As I, personally, have never used any other.

Core Freedom likes this.
  15. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

Not working :(

16. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

As most of their site seem to not be working, for example their VPS page redirects to a blank page with nothing more than a copyright on it... That may not be the best host.

Would recommend Canspace.ca for you. We use them and our uptime is great (uptime link)

RoldanLT likes this.
  17. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I'm using xfhost.net :)

The Forum Heroes and SneakyDave like this.
  18. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Really? The uptime for a lot of months is only in the 70's and 80%. That's attrocious uptime, unless you were working on your site or something during those months.

SneakyDave likes this.
  19. WSWD

WSWD Well-Known Member

Yep, February and March. That's incredibly embarrassing for them then. We're talking literally 8 days of downtime for the month!! How do they sleep at night?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
    SneakyDave, Amaury and Adam Howard like this.
  20. wickedstangs

wickedstangs Well-Known Member

Are your servers in the US?