Hosting Recommendations

Divinum Fiat

Hi all, some of you have been participating in my other post where I'm talking about my entire forum having been hacked and stolen. I have been using Hostgator for years and never had an issue with them but now that someone seems to deliberately hack into my account over and over again (3 times this past week), Hostgator is proving to suck as a service.

Have any of you had MAJOR security issues in the past and has your hosting company placed security measures in place that prevented hackers from getting in?

If so, I'd love to know which hosting companies you can recommend! :-)

As per my post in another thread, I highly recommend Nimbus Hosting.

I'll ask them to speak with you.

I don't believe they offer US servers. But our server (ValveTime.net) is UK despite most of our membership being US and the reported performance of the server is better than ever.

Hi all, some of you have been participating in my other post where I'm talking about my entire forum having been hacked and stolen. I have been using Hostgator for years and never had an issue with them but now that someone seems to deliberately hack into my account over and over again (3 times this past week), Hostgator is proving to suck as a service.

Have any of you had MAJOR security issues in the past and has your hosting company placed security measures in place that prevented hackers from getting in?

If so, I'd love to know which hosting companies you can recommend! :)

A great opportunity to learn more about hardening linux yourself ;) Even if you don't want the responsibility of doing it yourself, at least knowing about it will help. I suggest taking a peek at http://www.gridvirt.com/blog/beginners-linux-security-guide-centos-6-2/ whilst not comprehensive, it takes the time to explain things in simple english, which is what I imagine you would want.

Nimbus seem like a great service, I had a chat with them on Chris' recommendation, and they seem to be realy enthusiastic about their work, which is always a good thing :)

I'm using Rackspace which is more towards the enterprise/business audience so their cost is much higher but there is a layer of stability/support that is not available from budget hosts.

I'm using Rackspace which is more towards the enterprise/business audience so their cost is much higher but there is a layer of stability/support that is not available from budget hosts.

Agreed, I use rackspace for one of my large enterprise clients. These guys are second to none on support. Unfortunately I can little afford them for my own site.

Agreed, I use rackspace for one of my large enterprise clients. These guys are second to none on support. Unfortunately I can little afford them for my own site.
Yeap. If you are a business and your clients are large business, using cheap/budget hosts can be seen as a liability.

I'm with Chris on NimbusHosting. Heck, IIRC it was us who sent him there :)

Tim and his team are awesome, and we've been with them from the very beginning. No question is ever too stupid (and believe me, I pulled a few dumb ones), and they are always helpful. They're not as cheap as Hostgator, but their customer support and reliable services more than make up for it.

I have found the best way to measure your host and speed is to run the following command. You will be amazed at what some so called dedicated servers and wannabe FAST hosts are really providing you.

Run this: dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

Post your results:

16384+0 records in
16384+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 2.23856 seconds, 487 MB/s

This is a VPS at Barrett Networks

I have negotiated a great discount to my friends of xenforo

Use promo code : xenforo30

This will give you a one time 30% discount

You can choose monthly or annual and still get the full 30% off

Please notice that I have no affiliation and have put no affiliate code in url to direct members to checkout this great hosting option and awesome discount.

I only do this because so many of the members of this community have always helped me out and I like to do anything I can do or give back to them.

not too long ago i had a test website hosted on a virtual with servage. there was a filezilla ftp client exploit making the rounds whereby the malicious user would steal your ftp passwords from the ftp client, then log into your website ftp and embed code in your files. i was completely unaware that this had happened to me, but servage caught it within hours and locked down my account, changed all my login passwds, and sent me an email explaining what had happened. i dont remember much else about servage, but that level of proactive security sure did leave an impression on me.

You can always try Rat Hosting Solutions.
I am the owner and I am cPanel Certified.
I also run my own XenForo forum there. :)
It runs very smoothly and it's very fast.
I can't recommend other hosts for XenForo,
As I, personally, have never used any other.

I have negotiated a great discount to my friends of xenforo

Use promo code : xenforo30

This will give you a one time 30% discount

You can choose monthly or annual and still get the full 30% off

Please notice that I have no affiliation and have put no affiliate code in url to direct members to checkout this great hosting option and awesome discount.

I only do this because so many of the members of this community have always helped me out and I like to do anything I can do or give back to them.
Not working :(

Top Bottom