Latest 2.3 Finished Release Recommendations

SeriousRat

We are planning on updating to Xenforo from 4.2.5 and moving our entire forum. This will also include any additions as needed to reminate our current forum, SeriousOffshore.com. We utilize Adaware for Ads, and Dragonbyte software for our slider and classifieds. And we will move to a larger updated server and an different updated OS. So, the questions are:
Wait for the final 2.3 to be released? (Hopefully soon?)
Join/buy now and utilize the current 2.3 Beta 7 to test and then modify when the final is released?
Join/buy now and utilize the existing 2.2.13, then redo when 2.3 is released?

We pay an administrator to do all of our major work so we do want to do what makes the most sense.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Paul

CloudFlare does not cache attachments, only thumbnails - caching full attachments would (at least somewhat) bypass permission checks.

I hadn't thought of the private caching headers.

In that case, since it's not cached publicly, there's going to be a roundtrip to/from the Xenforo installation for each full attachment request per user to fetch caching headers/expiration data. So no TTFB saving. Subsequent fetches of the same images from that browser won't see any speed benefit either, since the next fetch of the images retrieves from the local browser cache.

I'm sure there are outlier case for small forums for offloading image storage, but for most small sites I believe KISS applies.

I hadn't thought of the private caching headers.

In that case, since it's not cached publicly, there's going to be a roundtrip to/from the Xenforo installation for each full attachment request per user to fetch caching headers/expiration data. So no TTFB saving. Subsequent fetches of the same images from that browser won't see any speed benefit either, since the next fetch of the images retrieves from the local browser cache.

I'm sure there are outlier case for small forums for offloading image storage, but for most small sites I believe KISS applies.
There's a mod for that.

if you're like me and don't care if private forum attachments could potentially be seen outside,

add a page rule at cloudflare:
Code:
yourdomain.com/attachments/*
Browser Cache TTL: a month, Cache Level: Cache Everything, Edge Cache TTL: a month
Enabled

paired up with this addon:

i think the digitalpoint cloudflare addon has cache header options too which is a much larger add on if you want other things on top of just this.

On your forum, i'd be asking via a poll about what awesome features your members want.

There are a few in here but there is an actual widget that helps show your media

You need to buy it of course as it is part of your customer account and you buy a once off add on called xenforo media gallery.

Another one from there is a resource where you can create stuff for your forum and enhance it. It's in the account and it's another once off fee.

Top Bottom