Help with xenforo and wordpress on the same server

Rho Delta

So I am tired of waiting for a CMS for xenforo so I think I might go back to Wordpress for the blog... My issue is I want to get some blog content up before I launch it as the front page... So how do I upload wordpress to a subdirectory, add stuff, them move it to the front domain and move my xenforo to mysite.com/forums

Hope that makes sense...

Check out this article:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory

For XenForo:

How can I move my installation to a different directory?
Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory. You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.

So you install Wordpress in its own directory and then use the above instructions to move both xF and WP. If you have XAMPP you could also install Wordpress there and add your content, once you're ready to go live with it, make a database backup, move XenForo to its new directory, install WP on root, import the database backup and you're good to go. ;)

The XAMPP sounds like a good option. so basically during the move the directory will break when I move XF before I install and backup WP?

Well, your root directory will be "empty" when you move xF to its new location. Then you are free to upload and install WP, drop its tables and then import the backup of the WP database you made on XAMPP.

1. Move all XF files into a subdirectory
-- Backup all files to a local drive
-- Create the directory /community
-- Upload files from local to /community [leave the files in the root for now]
-- Change settings in configuration files and then /community/admin (options)
-- Make sure everything is working

2. Move files off the root into /community-backup. Verify you did not disrupt /community installation

3. Install WordPress in root so that these are off the root
-- /wp-admin
-- /wp-content
-- /wp-includes

-- run the install program. It is best to have WordPress in one database and XF in another database.

-- verify that WordPress runs properly www.yourdomain.com

-- adjust .htaccess in root and /community if necessary

4. Install a bridge (optional).
5. Create a hyperlink between WP and XF.
6. Work on WP theme and XF theme so that they match

Top Bottom