1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Tachy reached Coventry yet...??

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by valdet, Sep 5, 2010.

1. valdet

valdet Active Member

Kier, what the story of Tachy? Real person or a local joke. Care to share what's the joke behind..??

And needless to say it is such a great feature, that I wish there will be something similar on xF.

Ceri May and soloarquitectura like this.
  2. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Tachy was a real person, yes.

3. valdet

valdet Active Member

Thanks, :)

So why he needed to go to Coventry and analogy of the vB feature?

4. Dereck

Dereck Active Member

Hi

Hahahaha I was once asked the same question about Coventry by my admin after seeing it in vB :D

Regards

Dereck

DaKat likes this.
  5. Kier

Tachy ran a rival site to mine way back when (don't ask which) and used to frequently lead raiding parties in to my forums to fill them with rubbish. Banning him didn't work, he just registered new accounts, so I needed a way to stop his c*** filling up the forums without him noticing. Hence the feature was born. The 'goes to Coventry' epithet comes from an English expression you can look up on Wikipedia.

Rudy, Shamil, Andy and 7 others like this.
  6. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

O
    OH Yeah i remember when that happened.

7. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I guess the lesson here is: Don't ever challenge a programmer on their own site? :p

8. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

9. Mr_Bob

Mr_Bob Well-Known Member

So, is this a feature of XF :D? I actually used it a few times over the years.

10. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Its useful if combined with miserable users and multiple account detection.

11. Allen

Allen Active Member

"Has Tachy reached Coventry yet...??"

When I saw the title to this thread I about fell outta my chair laughing! :D

Ceri May likes this.
  12. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

Good question. Global ignore is a great tool.

Just don't use it on me, you *******s.

13. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

Gods but I wish this was here :)

Peggy likes this.
  14. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Did Tachy ever realise what had happened to him ? Where is he now ?

15. Kier

Tachy had a relatively common name, so it's quite difficult to track down exactly what he's doing now. The last I really heard of him, he had a page up stating:

'The purpose of this site is to show good artwork and also to piss off half the planet.'

Phil Conway likes this.
  16. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

Right so Kier's to blame for this! Once had a member on one of my forums complaining that no one took any notice of him on the forums he previously posted at, which I put down to said member being overtly boring and obnoxious, we banned him but really wished our forum product had the Coventry feature. Did take time out to contact the other mod and ask how he got his members to ignore a member, hence found out about Coventry, simply an excellent idea for those irritating gits who keep re-joining after being banned. So is Xen getting this feature?

17. swampfox

swampfox Member

Id love to use it more, but there are several problems with it that tip the user off

1. threads dont bump to the top when they reply

2. when they start a thread, other users can see its there but not the actual post, and usually say something

3. if they have a lot of posts in one thread, there will be empty pages at the end of it

18. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

Does tachy know you are making money from his name lol? :D

19. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

That site is still there. Dusty, broken and half-mad.

20. OperaManiac

OperaManiac Well-Known Member

i found about this feature in vB rather late. found miserable user to be a better alternative. you still have to clean the mess left behind by the disgruntled member. but the concept is very nice!

Abomination likes this.