Gun control

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here’s why. It’s because of the way the media reports it.

Nope. Media is just as sensational in UK or Germany. The reason UK and Germany have 100 gun deaths to US 10,000 is due to smart and effective gun regulations.

Yet per person there is more rape in Europe than in the US...what a tradeoff.

So according to this wacky reasoning there are more REPORTED rapes in Europe than US is because US has 100 times the gun deaths.

Next.

I have a question to ask of anyone who believes that they have a right to own a firearm. What would you do to stop these mass shootings?

I'd shoot them before the mass part of the shooting occurred.

No you wouldn't as the facts show...all the gun nuts run or hide...just as well...they'd kill more innocent victims blasting away in crowded places...likely shooting at other blazing gun nuts...but the all now shows, they never stop the mall and school killers...they help create them but always fail in the gun fantasy of stopping them.

I'd shoot them before the mass part of the shooting occurred.

I'm sure a lot of people would do the same given the chance but nevertheless these atrocities continue to occur so that's not a solution. I'm also sure that everyone, be they for or against gun control, would want these terrible events to stop. I don't think it's too much of an assumption to say that those in favour of gun control would attempt to solve the problem by restricting the ownership of firearms. What I'm interested to know is what the opposing group of people would do.

I hear such ridiculous things from my friends on this - that it pains me to repeat them. One of them, an avid gun owner, says the ONLY solution is love. Yeah - right! The same folks who constantly try to lower taxes and don't want universal health care or to pay to help the mentally or physically ill...now say love will fix it all.

Crazy folks.

My only hope here is that the women and non-gun owners (2/3 of the country, BTW) will rise up and demand that the gun culture take responsibility for itself. They should pay - not me. Just like cigarette makers and smokers have to pay the taxes for the additional health care, so should the gun users, buyers and makers pay for the "love" they say will fix this.

Again, the obvious. A certain percentage of people are mentally ill. It will never be different.

If you want to solve problems, you have to start with facts.

Cell phone use while driving has been addressed in many ways. Lots of deadly accidents have been caused by them, so we address it. For some reason - maybe you can inform me - people did not jump up and down when cell phone and texting laws are put into place.

So, here are the facts...
Many people are mentally ill.
US Society will not change nor address these things anytime soon.
There are 300 Million firearms in the USA
Many sick people have them and will continue to have access to them.

If anyone can address solutions which keep those 4 truths in mind, then have at it.

I totally agree with Craigiri, there are simply too many sick people having the guns because of the current laws. Here is some stats:

Prevalence for mental disorders(all cat. combined): 26.2% of U.S. adult population;

Prevalence for anxiety disorders: 18.1% of U.S. adult population;

Prevalence of personality disorders: 9.1% of U.S. adult population...

The source is from http://www.nimh.nih.gov/statistics/1ANYDIS_ADULT.shtml

I was not born in the U.S. But I've lived here for over ten years... I love this country... I love democracy. However, I don't like the fact that guns are so easily accessable to people including so many mentally ill people(at least that is what they say after those killers committed massacres).

By logic, if you think that these horrible incidents were caused by those (mentally ill) people, then you really should think much stricter gun laws are in desparate need for this country! America is one of the most civilized country, but if 20 kids killed at a school couldn't bring any change to this country's gun laws, I don't know what we need the president and congressman for! We need actions being taken, not just talk, talk, talk......

I don't know how many of those pro-guns people from this forum have kids. I'm a mother of an 11-year old. I can't imagine any parent wouldn't feel heartbroken by what we saw on TV in the past 2 days!

Even if each of those victims' households have multiple guns, how could those parents protected their kids differently yesterday? How can owning guns at home make their kids safer yesterday? How can owning guns at home make us feel our kids are safer from now on?

Only by removing guns, making guns extremely difficult to obtain for everyone(except the cops) would help prevent these kind of tragedies happen again!

I do not blame gun control, as CT is a concealed weapons state, I think the problem lies with control of these kids. Or safety of these kids. I think that elementary schools are going to need more security for this kind of danger.
It’s because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine?
This is also another problem. It's not just a local problem, nor is this just a national problem, it's the industry's problem. The media craves this $#!^ like it's christmas.
Nope. Media is just as sensational in UK or Germany. The reason UK and Germany have 100 gun deaths to US 10,000 is due to smart and effective gun regulations.
Try living in America and then talk. The media here, right here in America treats death stories like it's a good thing. Okay, forget that they need to educate people on what's going on the local, or national level, but they push the envelope every time a new "information" come to light. I mean, do we need to be inundated with the killer's mindset? Or how it happened? Like Adam said; the media treats the "bad guys" as the celebrities. It's not exactly a good thing.

I think there will be a time when people has had enough of this crap that the media pulls every day.... One day, it will take an event so large, that not even you could put a lid on it... will happen and the one culprit will be the media. This will herald a change in the way media treats these stories.

The only coverage that I approve of was the assassination of Bin Laden. The media turned off the coverage in one day, then the next week, it brings new information. That kind of flow tells you that they know how to back off, but in situations like this massacre, they don't know how to control themselves.

Some states have been trying to find solutions to large scale killings, which is what attributed to the "10,000 deaths" against "100 deaths" in gun regulations. Call what you may of UK and Germany having smart laws, I think those countries are very, very tight knit as opposed to over here.

So according to this wacky reasoning there are more REPORTED rapes in Europe than US is because US has 100 times the gun deaths.

Next.

So according to you people only get hurt in violent acts because guns exist....

No you wouldn't as the facts show...all the gun nuts run or hide...just as well...they'd kill more innocent victims blasting away in crowded places...likely shooting at other blazing gun nuts...but the all now shows, they never stop the mall and school killers...they help create them but always fail in the gun fantasy of stopping them.
Nonsense, under state and federal laws public schools are gun free zones... it is illegal for anyone other than a sworn law enforcement officer to carry a weapon on school grounds. In other words there were no law armed civilians in that school, they were forbidden by law from being there. Ditto the Colorado movie theater, the theater owners in keep with local laws prohibited the carrying of weapons on their property.

As for the rest of you comments, the difference between the good guys and the bad guys is that we're very aware of and concerned about the safety of innocent bystanders... which is why we don't start blasting away willy-nilly in crowded places.

One thing about America and it's guns, it's far too easy for regular civis to get them. Which is completely un-necessary. Had this been a shotgun the conn. shooter used, he wouldn't have killed as many people. How/why? Cuz a shotgun holds roughly 5 rounds before it needs to be reloaded as opposed to a semi auto rifle that holds a 30 round clip. There is NO reason a civilian needs a semi-auto rifle.....

Too easy to get a gun in the US? Absolutely! Same as it's too easy to get a driver's license. Both of these need better standards for training and stringent testing to verify proper skill levels. More so for guns. Many people die every day in car crashes, but driver training never improves. People accept the risk. Historically US citizens expect gun ownership. The occasional massacre is the consequence of gun proliferation, however the gun is not at fault. The gun only compresses the time frame of the event. There are many other ways to kill people efficiently. There are many crazy people in the US. Massive inequity in every part of the society breeds massive discontent. Ever notice how there is no middle ground to anything anymore? The concept of the individual being more important than the country is very prevalent. People just plain feel entitled to do whatever they want.

There is no reason why a civilian shouldn't have a revolver/pistol/rifle/shotgun of whatever type. They should be required to meet requirements for safe handling and safe storage so crazy people are unlikely to get access. Nothing in life is guaranteed. Most of us get along just fine without owning guns. The problem is getting people to be responsible for their actions and realizing that priviledges need to be earned. Pride goes a long way.

Any death at the hand of another is a tragedy.

Too easy to get a gun in the US? Absolutely! Same as it's too easy to get a driver's license. Both of these need better standards for training and stringent testing to verify proper skill levels. More so for guns. Many people die every day in car crashes, but driver training never improves. People accept the risk. Historically US citizens expect gun ownership. The occasional massacre is the consequence of gun proliferation, however the gun is not at fault. The gun only compresses the time frame of the event. There are many other ways to kill people efficiently. There are many crazy people in the US. Massive inequity in every part of the society breeds massive discontent. Ever notice how there is no middle ground to anything anymore? The concept of the individual being more important than the country is very prevalent. People just plain feel entitled to do whatever they want.

There is no reason why a civilian shouldn't have a revolver/pistol/rifle/shotgun of whatever type. They should be required to meet requirements for safe handling and safe storage so crazy people are unlikely to get access. Nothing in life is guaranteed. Most of us get along just fine without owning guns. The problem is getting people to be responsible for their actions and realizing that priviledges need to be earned. Pride goes a long way.

In order to get a firearm in the United States you need to pass a federal background check. If you have never been convicted of a felony crime, you are able to get a weapon. I do not know about your country, but we are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

I do not blame gun control, as CT is a concealed weapons state, I think the problem lies with control of these kids. Or safety of these kids. I think that elementary schools are going to need more security for this kind of danger.

That's it. It's the kid's fault for being school kids. Lets lock them up so the gun nuts can run free.

I agree! As someone who doesn't drive (because i'm horrible at it) I'm actually doing everyone a public service by NOT driving because I don't want to be one of those idiots who can't drive and yet still manage to get a license. For the record, I don't have my license simply because I don't feel comfortable or confident enough behind the wheel of motor vehicle, and I'm 22. That being said, you're absolutely right that there needs to be a bit more stricter requirements put into place with getting licenses (both for guns and driving :P)

So according to you people only get hurt in violent acts because guns exist....

The stats are something like 400% more murders in the US than Germany and 300% more than in the UK (per 100,000 pop).

That's a lot more bodies!

That's the math. You can draw your own conclusions about why the folks in the UK aren't using knives and cars to run down more of their fellow countrymen. To many reasonable people, it looks like when you make things easier - people use them more. If I were in the killing mood, I'd MUCH prefer some good guns to baseball bats or golf clubs. In fact, I would refuse to use the later, therefore lowering the murder rate.

That's it. It's the kid's fault for being school kids. Lets lock them up so the gun nuts can run free.
Well, the thing is, if you paid a little more attention: One of victims was a school principal. Something must have happened before he went in there and killed those kids/principal. Every time I got into trouble, I'd always get so much lecture from my mom, that some people would not like that kind of "rigid" control. But I didn't do what this kid did, instead, I just brushed it off and go on with my life.

Now, from what I learned on another board I frequented, this person suffered from a Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), which is not limited to the following...

Depression
Mood swings
Suicidal tendencies
Sleep disorders (insomnia, night terrors, and sleep walking)
Anxiety, panic attacks, and phobias (flashbacks, reactions to stimuli or "triggers")
Alcohol and drug abuse
Compulsions and rituals
Psychotic-like symptoms (including auditory and visual hallucinations)
Eating disorders

The thing is, the neighbors, the people that know them well... say this is unusual even for this kid. Nice kid, but nervous around others.

5 bucks says this kid was bullied enough to the point of being called to principal's office and the principal let the bully walk. Mostly because the kids were involved in this shooting, I don't think this is aimless anymore. At first I did, but not anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom