Gun control

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were in the killing mood, I'd MUCH prefer some good guns to baseball bats or golf clubs. In fact, I would refuse to use the later, therefore lowering the murder rate.

How many things have you killed in your life....serious question...I am trying to figure out how much your murder weapon preference matters here.

Well, the thing is, if you paid a little more attention: One of victims was a school principal. Something must have happened before he went in there and killed those kids/principal. Every time I got into trouble, I'd always get so much lecture from my mom, that some people would not like that kind of "rigid" control. But I didn't do what this kid did, instead, I just brushed it off and go on with my life.

Now, from what I learned on another board I frequented, this person suffered from a Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), which is not limited to the following...

Depression
Mood swings
Suicidal tendencies
Sleep disorders (insomnia, night terrors, and sleep walking)
Anxiety, panic attacks, and phobias (flashbacks, reactions to stimuli or "triggers")
Alcohol and drug abuse
Compulsions and rituals
Psychotic-like symptoms (including auditory and visual hallucinations)
Eating disorders

The thing is, the neighbors, the people that know them well... say this is unusual even for this kid. Nice kid, but nervous around others.

5 bucks says this kid was bullied enough to the point of being called to principal's office and the principal let the bully walk. Mostly because the kids were involved in this shooting, I don't think this is aimless anymore. At first I did, but not anymore.
The kid was 20 and this was an elementary school in which his mother worked at and he killed her and the children with her guns.

The kid was 20 and this was an elementary school in which his mother worked at and he killed her and the children with her guns.
Well, that supports my theory, then. Grudges that are really deep enough to bring him out that far... Something. Happened.

At least one or two of the symtoms of DID must have had something to do with this, since one of them is hallucinations or flashbacks triggered a memory from his childhood that sparked this path to destruction.

One possibility is that this was his elementary school, as well as his mom's job.

How many things have you killed in your life....serious question...I am trying to figure out how much your murder weapon preference matters here.

Hmm...not sure if I can count. I know it's in the 10's of thousands of ants alone (sorry Jake, but I did do it - I was a carpenter).

Even those I was a gun toting coward. I had a nozzle in my hand, poison in the pumper and sprayed those bas-tards from afar. If I had to do each one with my fingers, I promise not as many would have fallen.

Does that answer your question?

In order to get a firearm in the United States you need to pass a federal background check. If you have never been convicted of a felony crime, you are able to get a weapon. I do not know about your country, but we are presumed innocent until proven guilty.

Is this for EVERY type of firearm?

Hmm...not sure if I can count. I know it's in the 10's of thousands of ants alone (sorry Jake, but I did do it - I was a carpenter).

Even those I was a gun toting coward. I had a nozzle in my hand, poison in the pumper and sprayed those bas-tards from afar. If I had to do each one with my fingers, I promise not as many would have fallen.

Does that answer your question?
Clearly.

So let me get this straight, you want to legalize marijuana, because since it's outlawed it's causing crime, then at the same time you want to criminalize gun ownership? Your hypocrisy invalidates everything you have to say.

Plus you know nothing about what you speak, running jails doesn't make money. It costs money. A huge amount of money.
I never said I was suggesting having them prohibited. Like I said, it's a complicated issue, but going pro-gun just cause you love them is not the answer, there's more to it.

And second, I wish you had some more respect and actually did your own research before telling me I know nothing about what I speak, because obviously you don't.

http://www.counterpunch.org/2012/01/09/business-is-booming-for-the-prison-profiteers/
http://wafreepress.org/article/100502law-murphy.shtml
http://imperialtwilight.wordpress.c...ng-the-economics-of-incarceration-in-america/

Reading ain't that bad.

I agree! As someone who doesn't drive (because i'm horrible at it) I'm actually doing everyone a public service by NOT driving because I don't want to be one of those idiots who can't drive and yet still manage to get a license. For the record, I don't have my license simply because I don't feel comfortable or confident enough behind the wheel of motor vehicle, and I'm 22. That being said, you're absolutely right that there needs to be a bit more stricter requirements put into place with getting licenses (both for guns and driving :p)
I am 30, and I have a similar situation. Except that I do not have money to maintain vehicles, so to save money I don't drive. I'm comfortable driving, and I drove a vehicle before - a Lincoln Navigator. Problem is, when I was your age, I STILL didn't know how to manage money. Since 28 years old, I've been becoming more, and more mature to the point of responsibility.

But since the economy crashed and burn, I can't allocate my "free" money to whatever I need to do. All that money goes to monthly rent.

I can't speak for other states, but here in Connecticut in order to legally purchase a rifle or shotgun you have to be at least 18 years old and never have been convicted of a felony or violent misdemeanor or have any known mental heath issues. If you meet those basic requirements all you have to do is go to your local gun dealer, complete the required state and federal paperwork and wait 14 days for your background to be completed.

In order to legally purchase a handgun you must be at least 21 years old and have state issued pistol license. In order to obtain a pistol license you have to go your local issuing authority (usually your local police dept.) and apply. The requirements are pretty simple you have to have clean record i.e. never been convicted of a felony or violent misdemeanor, not have any known mental heath issues, successfully complete mandatory firearms safety class and state and federal background checks... Once you've met those requirements the issuing authority will, at his or her discretion, issue the license.

Once you have a license you can purchase any handgun legally available in Connecticut after an instant background check and completing the required state and federal paperwork.

Thanks for the details. You are talking about purchasing new firearms through a dealer. I wasn't meaning these types of purchases and should have specified that. Your answer has me wondering about something else. Are you required to register your firearms?

Leaving the discussion for now - more tomorrow.

5 bucks says this kid was bullied enough to the point of being called to principal's office and the principal let the bully walk. Mostly because the kids were involved in this shooting, I don't think this is aimless anymore. At first I did, but not anymore.

The gun killings happen because they have guns. Minus the guns, no mass killings. It's simple. Eliminate the guns. It works in every other developed nation, it will work here.

The gun killings happen because they have guns. Minus the guns, no mass killings. It's simple. Eliminate the guns. It works in every other developed nation, it will work here.
If you believe it to be that cut and dry than you are part of the problem.

Attack on children in the US with gun: 20+ deaths
Attack on children in China with knife: 20+ injured
Private ownership of firearms is banned in China, making gun crimes rare in the country, according to the Chinese government’s official English language website. Pistols and revolvers are permitted for hunting, and only with permission.
Instead, knives have become the weapon of choice in China. While the United States combats gun violence, China has dealt with a spate of knife attacks in which the victims, while scarred, often survive.

10043_10151171241885823_1175972857_n.jpg

Ya.. because all those countries are the same size, population and all. There should be no other factors in your propaganda..
You're right.. that is a very fair and open minded comparison.. good on you ;)

Just sayin' if you adjust for population size the UK figure would go upto a massive..... 40.

Only a 10688 figure difference after that.

Also, this is a very highly charged topic. Multiple people have been warned for being overly abusive or offensive.

Keep it civil.

I always see statistics thrown into these kinds of debates...

Its true that America has a large gun related homocides and violence, but no anti-gun people would want to admit that in the past 20 years the murder rate in the US has dropped by almost half. US crime rate is actually the lowest it has been in decades, even despite the recession - in main part thanks to technology, polices, and policing.

Mass shootings are actually down *, but public perception says otherwise - just like the perception of nationwide violence, many people think it has gotten worse despite statistics.

Some people like to throw in UK and Japan, because of their very strict gun laws/bans they have much lower murder rates than America. The fail to mention that every single crime statistic is lower than they are in America... rapes, robberies, thief, etc... I personally believe its the culture that's facilitating violence.

Now call me crazzy, I'm an owner of four guns (AKM, AR-15 assault rifles, and .380 .45 pistols), but I actually think we could use stricter gun laws. I also understand more guns in American homes actually contribute to more suicides, family violence, and much more accidental shootings. Yes, the easier access to guns make it easier for mentally deranged people to carry out their attacks... like I sad, call me crazzy for admitting that and being a gun owner at the same time.

I remember when I was 8 years old and my grandmother shot someone in the shoulder while breaking into our house. She was on the phone with a 911 operator, thankfully the cops arrived in seconds - probably because they where already in the area looking for the suspect. Turns out a family member went to check on his sister down the block, and found her dead in the house, the killer ran off because he was no match for him... but I guess the killer thought my grandmother was an easy target and started smashing the bedroom window in. If the cops were not in pursuit, and my grandma didn't have her 380 who knows what would have happened to me and her :(. The killer had mental issues, and the lady was dead for 3 days as he lived in her house... crazy peop.

Gun control is a tricky subject, and funny enough... all this anti-gun heretic will probably increase gun sales in the next couple months just as it did when Obama took office.

Individual states also have different laws, and some laws even apply for out of state travelers. Some areas guns are illegal, like NYC and Washington DC. DC coincidentally has one of the highest murder rates in the country, but admittedly gun violence average rate has lowered sin the banning of guns. NYC is one of the safest cities in America when it comes to violence, but this was result of a host of changes that fundamentally reversed ALL crime trends.

You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here’s why.

It’s because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single victim of Columbine?

Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he’ll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN’s article says that if the body count “holds up”, this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer’s face on all their reports for hours.

Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer’s identity? None that I’ve seen yet. Because they don’t sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you’ve just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man’s name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news.

Can you not even come up with something written on your own? That exact quote, word for word, it floating around Facebook right now.

freeman.webp

Adam, if you have nothing of your own to add, don't. If you quote someone, at least let everyone know who it is from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom