Guest Posting for XenForo 2.x by AddonsLab

Guest Posting for XenForo 2.x by AddonsLab [Paid] 1.8.0

No permission to buy ($34.99)
I have a problem with your addon. Everything is fine but i can't see the conent which needs to be approved in the queue (I see it as admin in the according forum, but not in the queue).
I it worked out fine in previous XF2 versions (2.0.4). Since 2.0.6-7 I have this problem. Has anyone a similiar/same problem and a solution?

Artboard 6.webp
Screenshot-2018-6-5 Approval queue.webp

Thank you.
-Xiomera

I have a problem with your addon. Everything is fine but i can't see the conent which needs to be approved in the queue (I see it as admin in the according forum, but not in the queue).
I it worked out fine in previous XF2 versions (2.0.4). Since 2.0.6-7 I have this problem. Has anyone a similiar/same problem and a solution?

View attachment 177236
View attachment 177237

Thank you.
-Xiomera

Thank you for the report. We are checking now and will answer you within the coming hours.

Thank you!

Hello, @Xiomera

We have finally reproduced the case when this might be possible - it is when the forum, where guests choose to create the thread is setup to send all threads for moderations. This means if a registered user would create a thread in that forum, this thread would also be sent for moderation, but of course would be visible in the moderation queue. With our product, the thread is sent to moderation, but is not visible in the queue. I don't think this was working before with our product, so if you just started to notice the problem, I guess it is because you have recently changed usergroup/forum permissions.

Please confirm if this is the case for you. We are working on a fix now and will release it soon.

Thank you!

AddonsLab updated Guest Posting for XenForo 2.x by AddonsLab with a new update entry:

Bug-fix: content posted by guests not added to the moderation queue after registration

This is a bug-fix version which solves the issue with some guest messages disappearing from the moderation queue. The issue would happen when a post/thread by a guest is put for moderation by XenForo system, due to forum settings or anti-spam check. Now, these posts will appear in the moderation queue as soon as the user registers/logs in.

Thank you!

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hello, @Xiomera

The issue you have reported is now fixed and the fix is released. Please apply the latest change and let us know if you see any problems.

Thank you!

Is it intentional that the posts get only in queue after the guest registered?
Because I would like to get it in queue when it is posted (the guest is not registered yet)

-Xiomera

Is it intentional that the posts get only in queue after the guest registered?
Because I would like to get it in queue when it is posted (the guest is not registered yet)

-Xiomera

Yes, it is intentional. The product makes it very easy for guests to post threads/replies, so it is very likely to be a target for automatic posting engines to post spam. But these engines will of course not end up registering a real account so their posts will remain as "guest post" and after an hour will just get deleted, without bothering the moderators. Also, if a user guest posts a thread, and continues to registration, and if a moderator sees the post before the registration and approves it, it would be unclear for the how the post became visible even though the message shown stated otherwise, that they have to register to make it visible.

Thank you!

Hey. I know people are still using the guest posting feature because I get the bounced emails when people leave fake email addresses. However, I never see the little blue icon showing an unapproved guest post anymore. Did something change with one of the latest updates? Is there a URL I could go to to see all the yet to be approved guest posts?

Hello, @Sal Collaziano

By design, the product hides the posts/threads made by guests until they register. These posts are deleted later automatically if the user does not register, so there is no need for admins to see or approve these posts. There was a bug-fix recently regarding adding these posts to the moderation queue, this may be related to the change you see now.

If you are not sure if there are new posts with registration, the following query will show recently made posts/threads which ended up with a registration with user ID and the date of the post:

SQL:
SELECT content.content_id, content.content_type, content.user_id, FROM_UNIXTIME(content.content_date)
FROM xf_algp_guest_content AS content
WHERE content.user_id>0
ORDER BY content.content_date DESC;

Just let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!

Hello, @Sal Collaziano

By design, the product hides the posts/threads made by guests until they register. These posts are deleted later automatically if the user does not register, so there is no need for admins to see or approve these posts. There was a bug-fix recently regarding adding these posts to the moderation queue, this may be related to the change you see now.

If you are not sure if there are new posts with registration, the following query will show recently made posts/threads which ended up with a registration with user ID and the date of the post:

SQL:
SELECT content.content_id, content.content_type, content.user_id, FROM_UNIXTIME(content.content_date)
FROM xf_algp_guest_content AS content
WHERE content.user_id>0
ORDER BY content.content_date DESC;

Just let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you!
Suggestion: Forums are all about content. If somebody posts a new topic or reply, I want the ability to publish it whether the user completes the sign up process or not. I want/need that content. I'm perfectly fine with it being posted by Guest769.

The existence of that content is good for SEO and will create more content. The way it worked before was "okay" because I could go through the latest posts, spot things in moderation, and approve them. It wasn't perfect - but it was okay. What would really be great if there were a URL I could go to, to see all the posts awaiting approval - or even better yet, be notified of posts in moderation.

It's 2018 and people are ridiculously lazy and/or afraid that signing up to the forum will cause them to spontaneously combust into flames. I have several topics/posts per day that go to waste because the signup process is never completed.

It's a great plugin because it really does get people posting without going through the extremely painful hell of signing up to a forum - but most of the benefit goes to waste when the user ultimately realizes he needs to chop off his own **** to complete the process...

Last edited:
Suggestion: Forums are all about content. If somebody posts a new topic or reply, I want the ability to publish it whether the user completes the sign up process or not. I want/need that content. I'm perfectly fine with it being posted by Guest769.

The existence of that content is good for SEO and will create more content. The way it worked before was "okay" because I could go through the latest posts, spot things in moderation, and approve them. It wasn't perfect - but it was okay. What would really be great if there were a URL I could go to, to see all the posts awaiting approval - or even better yet, be notified of posts in moderation.

It's 2018 and people are ridiculously lazy and/or afraid that signing up to the forum will cause them to spontaneously combust into flames. I have several topics/posts per day that go to waste because the signup process is never completed.

It's a great plugin because it really does get people posting without going through the extremely painful hell of signing up to a forum - but most of the benefit goes to waste when the user ultimately realizes he needs to chop off his own **** to complete the process...

Thank you for the suggestion. As the plugin makes it easier to post content, it also increases the rate of spam messages posted, and if admin is concerned about getting quality content, they usually assume a user would register to publish their content/to get an answer to their question if they care enough. So the "cleanup" in most of the cases removes spam or messages which were not much needed for the community. Of course, this can be different from board to board, so in your case, you may need the content anyway. We will review your suggestion in details, and see if we can come up with some way to optionally keep the content posted by guests who don't register. We will just show them in usual XenForo moderation queue where you can decide if you want to approve them or no.

We will update here once the change is implemented.

Thank you!

AddonsLab updated Guest Posting for XenForo 2.x by AddonsLab with a new update entry:

Bug-fix: thread prompt form not shown

Here is a bug-fix version which solves the problem of Thread Prompt missing from forum pages even though the Post thread button was available and guests could post a thread using the full form.

The new version is available for all licensed customers at
https://customers.addonslab.com/marketplace.php/my-services/

Feel free to suggest further enhancements for the add-on or report any issues you have and they will be addressed asap.

Please consider posting a review if you are...

Thank you for the suggestion. As the plugin makes it easier to post content, it also increases the rate of spam messages posted, and if admin is concerned about getting quality content, they usually assume a user would register to publish their content/to get an answer to their question if they care enough. So the "cleanup" in most of the cases removes spam or messages which were not much needed for the community. Of course, this can be different from board to board, so in your case, you may need the content anyway. We will review your suggestion in details, and see if we can come up with some way to optionally keep the content posted by guests who don't register. We will just show them in usual XenForo moderation queue where you can decide if you want to approve them or no.

We will update here once the change is implemented.

Thank you!
Hey there. I know this is something on the possible to do list - but in the meantime, I'm wondering if there's any way that I'm overlooking to see threads with replies that have posts which aren't approved yet.

Its easy enough to see the little blue icon next to new threads that people never followed through registering with. As mentioned, I simply approve these threads and the guest's topic gets a lot of discussion going. Really - perfect for my community.

What I cannot easily see is threads that have these posts waiting for approval hiding in them. Every so often I'll be browsing through discussions and see these posts to approve - which then also get replies - and more content. Content is crucial to the existence of my forums...

Is there any way to update some code that'll allow that little blue icon to appear on threads that have posts awaiting approval? I swear, between people being too lazy to sign up, too afraid to leave their email address, or simply typing in the wrong email address - I'm losing a lot of important content on a daily basis. And this is the reason I installed this plugin.

If you could give me any advice - perhaps a bit of code that I can manually add to files or templates - please do. I really need this...

Thank you...

Hello, @Sal Collaziano

Sure, we will do our best to understand what is the problem and provide the best solution for your case. We will update here soon with the solution.

Thank you!

Hello, @Sal Collaziano

Sure, we will do our best to understand what is the problem and provide the best solution for your case. We will update here soon with the solution.

Thank you!
Thank you. And just to be clear to anyone reading - I don't think this is a "problem". The plugin is working exactly as you intended it. And does a great job at that. I just need an extra bit of functionality and I'm confident that when forum administrators realize just how much data/new posts and topics they're missing as these opportunities fly by and eventually get deleted - it'll make this a much more valuable resource. Especially for the slower forum - or forum just starting out - that needs posts to "get going"...

Thanks again...

New option - Enable Thread Posting

This version implements a new option to keep guest-posted content instead of removing it automatically. This option is useful for the boards, that get useful guest content but have high rate of users not ending up with registration and email confirmation. If the option is enabled, admins gets full control over the content posted, see it in the moderation queue in in forum/thread as a moderated post and can approve it manually instead of waiting for users to register. If an admin approves a...

@Sal Collaziano , please check our latest release, it adds a the new option you have requested, it is disabled by default, and enabling it will allow you to see the posts and threads in the moderation queue and they will not be deleted automatically.

Thank you!

SEO fix - do not show New thread and Reply links to search engines

This release fixes a SEO-related issue. From this version, guest posting will not be enabled if we detect the guest to be a search engine bot. The links to create a thread and reply to a thread will not be shown to Google and other search engines anymore, but if these links have been already indexed they may still be shown in the Dashboard. They will be removed as soon as the search engine re-indexes your pages.

The new version is available for all licensed customers at...

Top Bottom