Implemented Group Promotions

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
It would be nice to have a universal feature to apply group membership based on user attributes (e.g., sign up date, post count, email address URL or extension, location, etc.)

It seems like it would only take a simple if/then rule interface with a couple of drop down boxes and a text box or two per rule.

This would be extremely flexible and could replace a lot of one trick pony addons. For example, with this one plugin, you could:

- limit access to certain boards to students and teachers by adding anyone signing up with a .edu email address to a group membership with permissions to access those boards.

- limit ability to post in buy-sell-trade section until after 5th post

I could go on forever, but use your imagination.

I see a lot of addons being released that take care of something specific, like - 'add user to group after post count reaches x', but with only a little bit more work, this could be turned into a universal tool for tasks like this, for example:

--If attribute
(drop down of available user attributes or statistics)

--Operator
(drop down of operators: =,<,>,etc.)

--String
(text box that allows wild cards)

**give ability to add additional conditions?

--Add to Usergroup if match:
(drop down of configured user groups)

--Excecute Action on:
(drop down of hooks or listeners: sign up, verified email address, when the rule is saved or "updated", etc.)

A lot of the functionality I need to ease administration of my forum could be created by an option or addon like this and I think it would replace a lot of addons that are more specific.

I do agree. It is pretty much the same. I would just like to expand on the idea by allowing moving users to groups based on other profile attributes. Location, strings in the email address (extension), etc. Please feel free to merge.

Automated usergroup promotions is an important feature of my existing forums and I'd love to see it added to Xenforo.

Some criteria I would like to see as possible settings :-

Total Post Count
Total Likes
Total Trophies
Post Count in a specific node
Likes in a specific node
Total replies to threads created

I am especially interested in the latter three criteria, as they allow me to reward people for being active in the main forum, and creating conversation!

What I wish for this is that there is Alert for when user get promoted, like new members can be blocked to do X things, when they get promoted they are alerted they now can do X and X thing. :)

Or... I can use 1.1 Notice System, but that's a bit bad with the other Notices the user may not see... Hmmmm :(

Top Bottom