1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my grandson an iPad 2

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by grant sarver, Sep 17, 2011.

1. grant sarver

grant sarver Well-Known Member

Seems pretty "intuitive" to me! He has played with an iPhone:

Peggy, Anthony Parsons, Kim and 5 others like this.
  2. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

Great move BTW, kids should be encouraged (were budgets can afford) to use technology. The grief I got from my peers for suggesting similar for my daughter.

Anyway, very cool of you.
  3. grant sarver

Abort, retry, fail? Story of my life!
    alexD likes this.
  4. Floris

Floris Guest

Thumbsup. Very exciting to see technology reach this far - coming from a single line interpreter to a word processor in the office. One household with one computer was luxury 15 years ago. Now everybody has their own smart phone, tablet, laptop, computer or two at the house, etc. And the user-interface becomes quite intuitive. And this is all just the beginning.

Very cool to see how it is all more and more embraced. If only everybody could afford these 'toys' for their family members.
  5. iTuN3r

iTuN3r Well-Known Member

Nice one....he seems to be very happy :)

I remember i had to work for months to buy a laptop for myself ...Dad was always against buying such stuffs for me :(
  6. physicspirate

physicspirate Well-Known Member

Pretty sweet! I wonder if he will ever try to use it as a hammer :)
  7. grant sarver

Forgot to mention the agreement I got from the parents; they can not "show" him anything on the iPad. They are to leave it to him to discover and figure out.
    Bob, Peggy and Vincent like this.
  8. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

your grandson is definitely much faster than myself in figuring out how this gadget works.....
    Vincent likes this.
  9. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Apple really needs to make the package more child-friendly :)
  10. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

Well, there are also less expensive tablets :)
  11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

My son has an iPad. I gave mine to him when I purchased the iPad2. He loves it and can do just about anything on it.
    He's permitted to play games on it as long as he spends an equal amount of time using the educational apps I downloaded onto it before handing it over.

That plan is working well, so far.
  12. grant sarver

I understand where you're coming from Peg, I just think that it's all "educational" and loses a lot when it becomes a "chore". I like to encourage discovery. Any of it is far more mentally and even physically stimulating than we had with the "TV generation".
  13. TheLaw

TheLaw Well-Known Member

Any room for another grandchild? ;)
    Bob and Trombones13 like this.
  14. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking! :D
  15. grant sarver

I'll be taking applications...........:eek:
    Bob likes this.
  16. Digital Jedi

Digital Jedi Well-Known Member

I like how he turned it on and slid it right open without even thinking twice. Most of the kids of know would have thrown it across the room once they realized they couldn't eat it.
  17. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Oh it's not a chore for him at all. These are very fun educational apps that I installed, and he loves them. He'll go play one of his games then come back to the math, then one of his games and then to the science. Even I like to play them!
  18. Kim

Kim Well-Known Member

That was nice of you Grant :D

I loved his enthusiasm! (y)