Implemented  Google +1 Inclusion

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Clearly this should be implemented as a future addition. Since there is some concern about abuse, you can offer an option in the ACP to disable it, or it can easily be added or removed in code.

Forums are about social sharing, and anything Google does will have a huge impact.

Clearly this should be implemented as a future addition. Since there is some concern about abuse, you can offer an option in the ACP to disable it, or it can easily be added or removed in code.

Forums are about social sharing, and anything Google does will have a huge impact.
New feature that hasn't really been adopted yet?

Google has a tendency to make features then later abandon them due to lack of use, and this seems like another prime suspect for this trend.

What kind of sense should it make? better Ranking or what is that for?
In half a year i need one Template just for these "like" buttons....

So you put the +1 in your own page, and in the google search results, if your page shows up it will have the +1 on its own?

New feature that hasn't really been adopted yet?

So you put the +1 in your own page, and in the google search results, if your page shows up it will have the +1 on its own?

@Forsaken, I couldn't disagree more. From what I can see the feature is 100% active and I intend to embrace this change fully.

@Panupat, take a look at the below image.

The first result shows a thread that was +1'd from someone else. The second result shows a thread that was +1'd by myself.

The +1 is subtle, but it also stands out. Clearly this feature will influence search results. I am not certain what my ranking was previously on the "Play Tera Now" phrase. I can say there are literally 200 Tera related sites. I don't think I would have held the #1 and #2 spot for that phrase prior to the +1 feature. I will do further testing today.

Google+1.webp

@Forsaken, I couldn't disagree more. From what I can see the feature is 100% active and I intend to embrace this change fully.

@Panupat, take a look at the below image.

The first result shows a thread that was +1'd from someone else. The second result shows a thread that was +1'd by myself.

The +1 is subtle, but it also stands out. Clearly this feature will influence search results. I am not certain what my ranking was previously on the "Play Tera Now" phrase. I can say there are literally 200 Tera related sites. I don't think I would have held the #1 and #2 spot for that phrase prior to the +1 feature. I will do further testing today.

View attachment 15666
http://www.blindfiveyearold.com/google-1-analysis

Google does not have a good track record when it comes to social, including SearchWiki, Stars, Wave and even Buzz.

Theres also a bunch of other things that never made it out of Google Labs that had a similar social concept.

Disagree or not, their history on social features tends to die out after a year or two due to lack of use.

I doubt it.

It would be way too easy to game the system.
Seconded. If Google are going to boost search results for people using their +1 feature, it seems more like a marketing technique than an actual boost of SERP. But, if this is how they wanna play it I don't mind getting a few of my friends to +1 all my content and bring me top of the search results at no expense :D

I already read the SEOmoz article, along with several others.

The short of it is:

- at this time, Google says it isn't affecting results, but they clearly offer hints that it could in the future

- they could just have it influence your search results from people in your Google friend circle. If one of your friend's +1's sites you don't like, you can always remove them from your friend's list

- Google has a TON of info on you, and can use it to police abuse in the exact same way they monitor abuse of links and websites currently. They can block spammers, etc. What does Google know about you? Take a look here > www.google.com/dashboard.

Google can tell a fake Google account that was just made, versus an established account. I didn't think Google had that much information on me. I was surprised to see how much they know. Gmail, Google Checkout, G Docs, GA, AdSense, FeedBurner, YouTube, GTalk and more are integrated directly into their dashboard.

Clearly someone who has used Google Checkout even once is a valid person, and someone who has never used any other Google service is likely to be a fake account. How long has the Google account existed? Same idea as the SEO metric for domain age. It is all metrics that can be measured, weighed and valued. Sure it can be abused, but no one is in a better position to handle that abuse then Google.

We can talk back and forth all you want. The fact is, Google +1 is reality. It is here, now, and users can see it. Clearly Google wants to promote it along with their upcoming social network. You can ignore it and let your competing sites use it, or you can embrace the change and join in. I choose the latter option.

Google can tell a fake Google account that was just made, versus an established account. I didn't think Google had that much information on me. I was surprised to see how much they know. Gmail, Google Checkout, G Docs, GA, AdSense, FeedBurner, YouTube, GTalk and more are integrated directly into their dashboard.

Clearly someone who has used Google Checkout even once is a valid person, and someone who has never used any other Google service is likely to be a fake account. How long has the Google account existed? Same idea as the SEO metric for domain age. It is all metrics that can be measured, weighed and valued. Sure it can be abused, but no one is in a better position to handle that abuse then Google.

We can talk back and forth all you want. The fact is, Google +1 is reality. It is here, now, and users can see it. Clearly Google wants to promote it along with their upcoming social network. You can ignore it and let your competing sites use it, or you can embrace the change and join in. I choose the latter option.

Ignoring the fact that Google themselves have stated that spammers and just general abusers of their services adapt their methods, theres also the whole perspective of corporations or sites gaming the system. The small guy will suffer in such an instance (small guy including you). They probably have some method to counteract this, but as it is now, and from at what they've said and hinted at, the system would be easily gamed.

Yes, its a reality, but for how long? As I said, and as the quote in one of my earlier posts shows, they have a horrible track record for social services. They tend to last a year or two, then they die off due to low adoption rates because people spend a minimal time on Google (read as Google Search). Most people also do not go into their dashboard all that often; its just not that important to them. Google is used for their individual services and a lot of that is search, which has maybe a total of 5 minutes of time spent on it (for in-depth searches).

Until its proven to have lasted over past services, and that people actually intend to adopt its usage, it just seems pointless as a core feature (which was the point of my initial reply).

Top Bottom