Google +1 Getting Desperate ?

Brett Peters

Just saw this for the first time and thought that Google +1 must be getting desperate, This sort of over advertising really turns me away.

It just seems tacky because when I think google I think about unlimited $$$ but then they go and shove a huge advertising box in my face without even rounding the corners or making it look enticing.

Just thought it would be interesting to see what others thought.

6eou83.png

How is it any different from a Facebook like/recommend? They've just changed the phrasing haven't they?

One thing however that has annoyed me about Google recently is that you now have to have a Google+ account in order to rate companies on Google Places.

It makes it much more difficult to get customers to rate my business now as lots of people don't want to sign up to Google+ to leave star rating or a written review. Plus I believe it publicly displays the users name now when they leave a review, which again detracts some people.

I had someone who was really enthusiastic about leaving a review last week and he couldn't sign up to Google+, their stupid sign up page kept redirecting on itself. The guy didn't bother in the end and gave up trying....

Yeah, you had to sign up to create a google account before, which could be kept private when rating. Now it's Google Plus, and everything is public and while some people may wish to give feedback about a company on a review site, they might not want their full name publicised next to it.

I've never been a fan of Google+ in general, but that tooltip doesn't look that bad. I mean, Facebook puts "Be the first of your friends to recommend this." next to their button, at least Google uses a pop up only shown when you hover their button.

Google ruined "Plus" when they switched to that new design, as oppose to the old one. I also think that should have bought the domain "plus.com", and made it separate from Google itself.

Google plus was a fad, people only added the plus one for SEO,,,nothing more.
There is more content on Google+ than there are on many forums I have seen.

Google ruined "Plus" when they switched to that new design, as oppose to the old one. I also think that should have bought the domain "plus.com", and made it separate from Google itself.

Plus.com/Plus.net are owned by an ISP in the UK, and it wouldn't be logical for them to sell as they're established their own brand.

The reason why Google+ isn't separated as it is the social layer over all their services; they're starting to use Google+ to tie all their services together, which is something they've needed for years.

There is more content on Google+ than there are on many forums I have seen.

Plus.com/Plus.net are owned by an ISP in the UK, and it wouldn't be logical for them to sell as they're established their own brand.

The reason why Google+ isn't separated as it is the social layer over all their services; they're starting to use Google+ to tie all their services together, which is something they've needed for years.
Well still, it's just a social network the only thing that's different was the hype. Majority people still consider and use FB as it was unique.

And social networks aren't meant to be informative on facts.

Just saw this for the first time and thought that Google +1 must be getting desperate, This sort of over advertising really turns me away.

6eou83.png
I don't know what you're complaining about.... It's been there since a few [months or] weeks after G+ was launched...? :confused:
Google plus was a fad, people only added the plus one for SEO,,,nothing more.
:rolleyes:

I think Google+ does things better than facebook in so many ways. It's such a great mix between Twitter and Facebook... Which makes Microsoft's bid for acquisition of Twitter seem like a walk in the park.

Well still, it's just a social network the only thing that's different was the hype. Majority people still consider and use FB as it was unique.

And social networks aren't meant to be informative on facts.
Yeah, I guess social networks should all be limited to 140 characters, and should be the same day to day crap people generally post to Twitter and Facebook, right? That makes more sense than having news, articles, and real content posted there with a viable outlet of discussion.

And again, Google+ is more a hub of services offered by Google with a social layer over the top to promote sharing and discussion. Yes, it is a social network. No it isn't just a social network. It is meant to integrate services that were fragmented and had a lot of overlap over the years together to that they can offer a better service.

As far as Facebook being unique, other than a few unique features it is pretty much exactly what MySpace was. MySpace stagnated and made bad choices, and Facebook offered a better alternative. Comparably Google+ (And other Google services which are integrated) is much more unique in what it offers and and the general usage of the service.

It just seems tacky because when I think google I think about unlimited $$$ but then they go and shove a huge advertising box in my face without even rounding the corners or making it look enticing.

Just thought it would be interesting to see what others thought.

The +1 button has always done this. I'm not sure how informing the user of the action they're about to perform is desperate, or even a form of advertising.

Personally, I find the constant lashing out about Google+ from some people amusing. Some of the most productive discussions I run across online are taking place there, where as I ignore half (it no more) of the stuff coming through my feeds on other networks. Different social circles (no pun intended), I suppose.

Haha, Must just be me that felt that the over sized "publicly recommend google" box that looks like they cant join lines and make a square, a bit odd and desperate looking.

I personally felt like it could have done with a bit of styling, But looks like most are happy with it as a standard.

Haha, Must just be me that felt that the over sized "publicly recommend google" box that looks like they cant join lines and make a square, a bit odd and desperate looking.

I personally felt like it could have done with a bit of styling, But looks like most are happy with it as a standard.
Faceborg is much more annoying due to the amount of space it takes up.

Faceborg is much more annoying due to the amount of space it takes up.

Yep, is why I did not upgrade to the latest OS X release, FB, FB, FB, and even more FB integration.
If this continues I shall be shifting to Mint.

Hmm, I know we have add blockers but do we have social media blockers ?

I'm too old for social networking. I think it's a waste of time. What pisses me off is that there's all these new services on the Internet that require you to use a social network to sign up. It's the only way to sign up. It isn't Twitter which I can use a dummy account to sign up with, but Facebook. Frankly I don't care what people I know in real life are up to. I was thrilled that I got my Spotify account before they enacted their Facebook only signup ********. I'm a happy premium customer now. They won't mind losing $10 from me each month, but imagine that figure being quantified by men and women who fit my demographic. Now that is a pain in the ass. Easily thousands to a couple hundred thousand in profit lost each month.

Top Bottom