Forum User Permissions Problem!

Hi guys, I've done some searching around but haven't found an answer to this thus far.

I'm working on a forum over at lovewith.co.uk which has a news section and a "LoveWith's Thoughts" section that I want only admins/moderators to be able to post to, and so this is how I've set them up in the permissions, admins and mods can post, others can read but not post.

However, when I go to post something even as an admin after I've set it up like this, it's saying I have insufficient privileges. And this doesn't go away until I've set it so all users can post, I'm stumped!

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

I sometimes find permissions a bit confusing (especially when talking about it), since you can set it up on
1) The user group
2) The individual user
3) The individual forum

Have you set it on the individual forum, like this (for the admin group):

adminPerms.webp

And in your individual user / group permissions, you haven't used the "never" permissions for admins/mods... This permission can sometimes be misunderstood.

Never:
This is an overriding No. The user won't have this permission even if there is an Allowelsewhere.

Quoting Jake:

Jake Bunce said:
Did you set Never permissions anywhere for the group? Or Revoke? Those can both reduce a user's permissions.

Permissions are additive unless you use Never or Revoke which are subtractive.

Understanding Permissions:
http://xenforo.com/community/resources/understanding-permissions.360/

I think I'm doing everything right.

Here's administrator's group permissions for the node.
3KQ8

And Standard User Group's permissions for the same node.

8hPd

Yet none of the users in any group can post in this node, it's fine posting in any other, and this is the only one I've modified minus the other node which has the same permissions as this one.

okay, what other groups are the members assigned (and do any of these groups use the revoke / never permissions)

I was stumped once, I couldn't do anything at all with a particular user, then I realised I had assigned them to an addition group (unregistered) which had lots of never permissions

I don't find permissions user very user friendly to manage, but once you get use to it it's very customisable for lots things

okay, what other groups are the members assigned (and do any of these groups use the revoke / never permissions)

I was stumped once, I couldn't do anything at all with a particular user, then I realised I had assigned them to an addition group (unregistered) which had lots of never permissions

I don't find permissions user very user friendly to manage, but once you get use to it it's very customisable for lots things

I just checked, and literally just the administrative group. No others.

Are you sure isn't it:

User Group: Registered
Secondary User Group : Administrative

adminGroups.webp

In which case, now check the permisions of those user groups (Permissions >> User Group Permissions)
(and the permision of that user >> Permissions >> User Permissions)

(Nijad by Magnus ;) )

I'm becoming stumped...

It is set up as a forum and not a category? (your images have vanished in the 3rd post)

Uploaded them using droplr, which is probably why they've stopped working haha.

Yeah this is setting permissions for the forum itself not the category.

Thank you for your help though, I completely exhausted everything I could think of and was starting to think I was just getting the wrong end of the stick with it and being stupid!

I would suggest you try to chase the problem. Start on Group Permissions, check that nothing is set to never. THen check the forum permissions, check that nothing is set to never, then check the category and check the same there . Also check every group the user is a member of, it doesn't matter if it is a primary or secondary group, never overrides them all.

Top Bottom