Forum Rivalry

DRE

Do you have a forum rival? When I first started my site, I started it because the forum I moderated before was deleted by the webmaster and we had no place to go. Later on the webmaster created another site, invited us to his new forum and asked me to delete my new site. I refused to delete my site and come back, so did the people I invited to the old forum he deleted. In the past two years he had waged war against my site saying he was going to destroy it and at one point spammed my board's PM system in an attempt to get everyone back but they reported him.

Even though we were rivals I did not feel like we were rivals because my site started out as a copyright tutorial and general entertainment forum, his was a Muslim site centered around Desis (East Asians) but he still considered my site competition nonetheless. We shared some of the same members and even moderators in some cases but in the end, I stuck to recruiting members from Social Networking sites to further differentiate the membership base with people who knew nothing about the previous forum and drama etc in an effort to start fresh and two years later I succeeded.

His site was also xenforo. I say 'was' because he deleted his site yesterday. So do you have a rival too or used to have one like in my case?

Several (if you can call them rivals rather than wannabes),

Fortunately they are set up by people who

a) Have no idea what they are doing
b) Set it up in protest to being removed from our site

As such they hardly do well at all.

The trafic they get in a day, we get in an hour.

b) Set it up in protest to being removed from our site

As such they hardly do well at all.
Sounds very familiar.
Someone who was an advertiser on our forum set up his own. At first saying it was support for manufacturers, but was actually launching it as a rival to ours. He gloated that we weren't a genuine AV forum because we had a gaming section. He then created a gaming section.
We know the majority of his traffic was faked using some software.
He has our name in his keywords :)
His forum is as good as dead. Has been for a long while.

There is one site that almost copies every unique thread we created without ever referencing to us, have the same forum hierarchy, using our stuff constantly. They do this so blindly that forget to remove the XenTag backlings we use in our content. A lot of smear campaign and trolling from that site too.

^Your Atheism site is being flooded by spam at the moment Stuart

My small gaming forum has lots of rival clans with their own forums, but they're not competition as it's simply a small hub for members to exchange banter. Not a business forum.

I would say I have 1 rival.

The guy joined and became a very "post happy" person. Very interactive with everyone, flirted with the ladies, complemented everyone, and really made a strong effort to make himself known and be liked. I seriously don't think he slept in 3 months he was a member (only 3 months).

One day without warning, he made this whole false drama thing about the site and staff. Lot's of false accusations and directly challenged our policies. Which stirred up some unrest. He was quickly banned sometimes after he announced he had his own site and started a campaign to get people to join it.

That weekend I had a small vacation trip planned (3 day weekend). When I came back, the site had been hacked.

He had logged in as me and trolled everyone as me (which drove people away). Than he made a new account and announced that the site has been sold and there was a new owner. This person (alter ego) also trolled everyone. On the 3rd and final day, he came back as me, trolled the site some more, and then announced the site was closing and told everyone to go to a new site listing a few alternatives with #1 being his own.

^Your Atheism site is being flooded by spam at the moment Stuart

OT: My small gaming forum has lots of rival clans with their own forums, but they're not competition as it's simply a small hub for members to exchange banter. Not a business forum.
WTF? My site isn't about atheism and member registration is closed (invite-only).

The guy joined and became a very "post happy" person. Very interactive with everyone, flirted with the ladies, complemented everyone, and really made a strong effort to make himself known and be liked. I seriously don't think he slept in 3 months he was a member (only 3 months).

One day without warning, he made this whole false drama thing about the site and staff. Lot's of false accusations and directly challenged our policies. Which stirred up some unrest. He was quickly banned sometimes after he announced he had his own site and started a campaign to get people to join it.

That weekend I had a small vacation trip planned (3 day weekend). When I came back, the site had been hacked.

He had logged in as me and trolled everyone as me (which drove people away). Than he made a new account and announced that the site has been sold and there was a new owner. This person (alter ego) also trolled everyone. On the 3rd and final day, he came back as me, trolled the site some more, and then announced the site was closing and told everyone to go to a new site listing a few alternatives with #1 being his own.
I shouldn't laugh but lmaoooooo

There is a new oen; even some copied a custom addon that I had xfrocks made for me but never shared the code with anybody :D For some copying is an art :p
How the heck do you copy a custom addon? Did he just make his own version? What's the addon?

Just found a site that is a cross between two of my forums. Style was ripped from one of my sites and the categories and descriptions were ripped from another.. lol i gotta say its a good looking forum. :D except they are using vB4.
lol wtf? You found it with that copyscape link? got dang @ them copying everything.

I would guess ALL forums have rival forums. Look at the various forum admin forums as an example.
True. I used to post at theadminzone, then Azhira's admin forum. I don't see how they are rivals though because those two forums have a different feel from one another. Just by being in competition (same genre) it won't make your forums a rival. One of the two or both must specifically go at each other or in VonDoom's case, blatantly rip the other person off.

That seriously sucks, but lol, he did some serious work for it.

lol wtf? You found it with that copyscape link? got dang @ them copying everything.
Yeah thanks for the link.. Pretty cool.
Canine Chat Forum • The Dog Lover s Community (1).webp Mastiff Mania  English Mastiff Forum  Mastiff Information and Mastiff Community2.webp
Being as XF has category Forum descriptions hidden you cant really see the plagiarism but its there. ;)

I shouldn't laugh but lmaoooooo
I'm sure he laughed his a** off.

Do you know how hard it was to try to tell people that the last 3 days it wasn't you?!

You figure people saw "me" trolling them, than someone else trolling them, than "me" again trolling them, while claiming that the first 2 "me's" where someone else.

So upon my actual return... I had to denounce the 3 "me's" before the real me. How's that for a mind f*ck?!

Top Bottom