Forum Import Question

Interesting, you have an importer for IPS 4.1 but they can't seem to develop a working importer 9 months after the release of their software.
That's a whole 'nuther' issue. I guess it's really a demand based deal - and there have been MANY people (me included) pestering for a IPS -> XF converter for the new version of IPS. That's one of the nice things about the XF "geeks in charge". They tend to listen to requests pretty well and they apparently are some pretty efficient coders.
I had no issues with the convert on my recumbent bike site - and I used one of the BETA (early) ones - but what few issues that were brought up get fixed fairly quickly.

That's a whole 'nuther' issue. I guess it's really a demand based deal - and there have been MANY people (me included) pestering for a IPS -> XF converter for the new version of IPS. That's one of the nice things about the XF "geeks in charge". They tend to listen to requests pretty well and they apparently are some pretty efficient coders.
I had no issues with the convert on my recumbent bike site - and I used one of the BETA (early) ones - but what few issues that were brought up get fixed fairly quickly.

Grabbing data and importing it into XenForo is quick any easy to do so writing the actual grabby bits are easy.

The part which takes the time is the little quirks, permissions, string replacements, bb code etc, ensuring the data looks correct when its actually in XenForo.

OK, final question about the import. I have 3 databases I need to import. One vB4 from 2009-2013, one vB4 from 2014 and one IPS 4.1 from 2015. Will the importers do that and will it bypass user accounts that already exist?

I thought I had asked all the questions, but something confused me in the apps area for converters. Are the converters built into the software?

Also, I currently have IPS. I want to install the XF forum in the same directory /forum/. Should I delete all the IPS files (with the exception of the uploads folder), then upload the XF files into the directory?

Yes the importers are built in.

Admin CP > Tools > Import External Data

It would usually be advisable to do at least one test import, first, before jumping in and doing anything that would affect your live data.

One way to do this would be to install XF into a different directory, e.g. /xfforum/ perform the import and make sure it works as expected.

Once you're ready to do it for real, do another clean install into e.g. /xfforum/ then rename /forum/ to /ipbforum/ and then rename /xfforum/ to /forum/.

Top Bottom