1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Import Question

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Jim Kingsnorth, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Jim Kingsnorth

Jim Kingsnorth Active Member

I currently run IPS software 4.1. First do you have import for that version of IPS? I did see you have import for vB4.
  2. wang

wang Well-Known Member

Xenforo has also an importer for Ipb 4.
    Jim Kingsnorth likes this.
  3. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

To clarify, the IPBoard4 importer covers version 4.0 and 4.1.
    ScarletCox, wang and Jim Kingsnorth like this.
  4. Jim Kingsnorth

Interesting, you have an importer for IPS 4.1 but they can't seem to develop a working importer 9 months after the release of their software.
  5. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

That's a whole 'nuther' issue. I guess it's really a demand based deal - and there have been MANY people (me included) pestering for a IPS -> XF converter for the new version of IPS. That's one of the nice things about the XF "geeks in charge". They tend to listen to requests pretty well and they apparently are some pretty efficient coders.
    I had no issues with the convert on my recumbent bike site - and I used one of the BETA (early) ones - but what few issues that were brought up get fixed fairly quickly.
    ScarletCox likes this.
  6. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Grabbing data and importing it into XenForo is quick any easy to do so writing the actual grabby bits are easy.

The part which takes the time is the little quirks, permissions, string replacements, bb code etc, ensuring the data looks correct when its actually in XenForo.
    ScarletCox likes this.
  7. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

yep, I think that was one of the issues with the IPS 4.x converter. The new version of IPS uses pure HTML and no "bbcode" by their definition.
    ScarletCox likes this.
  8. Jim Kingsnorth

OK, final question about the import. I have 3 databases I need to import. One vB4 from 2009-2013, one vB4 from 2014 and one IPS 4.1 from 2015. Will the importers do that and will it bypass user accounts that already exist?
  9. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can import multiple source forums into the same XF instance.

You will be prompted to merge or edit the details of any duplicate members (user name or email address).
    Jim Kingsnorth likes this.
  10. Jim Kingsnorth

Excellent Thanks
  11. Jim Kingsnorth

I thought I had asked all the questions, but something confused me in the apps area for converters. Are the converters built into the software?

Also, I currently have IPS. I want to install the XF forum in the same directory /forum/. Should I delete all the IPS files (with the exception of the uploads folder), then upload the XF files into the directory?
  12. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

Yes the importers are built in.

Admin CP > Tools > Import External Data

It would usually be advisable to do at least one test import, first, before jumping in and doing anything that would affect your live data.

One way to do this would be to install XF into a different directory, e.g. /xfforum/ perform the import and make sure it works as expected.

Once you're ready to do it for real, do another clean install into e.g. /xfforum/ then rename /forum/ to /ipbforum/ and then rename /xfforum/ to /forum/.