XF 2.1 Import question

Carsten^

Hi Guys,
I'm asking this for someone else, but I am pretty interested myself.

He is interested in migrating an on vB 4.1.x forum to XF on a VPS, the old forum has roughly 8.6 million posts, on an average 4 core server, with SSD and 64gb ram, how long would such a forum take to import into XF?

It's hard to predict but it could be a few to several hours depending on your host.

Shut down the vB forum to prevent new posts before starting the import. It will be fastest if you have WHM/cPanel and can run the import via Terminal (command line or CLI).

You would be advised to tweak some of the server settings (PHP) temporarily to minimize timeouts as well.

Your question was like asking "how long to get to Chicago?" without specifying from where, what type of transportation, what route is planned and if you plan to stop for breaks.

There is no such thing as an "average" VPS. Performance is all over the map from one hosting company to another, and within the same hosting company as well depending on loads of other virtual machines on the same physical machine.

I've seen databases this size range from a couple of hours to well past 24 hours. There's no way to know until you do a trial run.

Right... However I was half expecting anything to several days... 1-2 days is fine. I'm not looking for an exact answer. Just a rough maybe sorta.
Just posts alone? My guess would be less than 12 hours. Posts,users and everything will take a day most likely less than that. 1-2 days is a long long time, it's going to be way less than that.

Keep in mind i am discounting the post migration stuff which can take well over a few days. There's a lot of stuff to take care of and small issues.

Which company VPS is it? 4 cores aren't the same for every company. Some companies use older crap cpus, others use powerful cpus that are shared between users. That's why a shared host like hostgator will perform better and faster than some VPSes even though it's shared between gazillion users, the hardware is powerful enough.

The numbers i gave are for a dedicated. I think you will have to worry about timeouts and limitations with a vps. But it will probably be extremely slow because you don't get the cpu for all the time.

For such a big board, if you can afford, i suggest spinning up a cheap dedicated and getting it over with.

Top Bottom