Font Awesome Manager

Font Awesome Manager 1.2.7

No permission to download
Icons missing with option "Load subsets only" set to Yes is usually an indicator that the icon is missing from one (or more) subsets.
=> Check the icons lists and add the missing icon(s) as explained in the FAQ.
When this option is turned on, nearly all of the default forum icons are square boxes (as I posted in my earlier screenshot) so does that mean I have to find and locate all of these fonts/images by name and then manually add them to the list?

I have also realized that while it works unchecked on the forum home, when I try to launch something that invokes the modal window (like mark forums read or new post) it hangs and never loads, so for now I've disabled again.

Hey Kirby,

I hope you're doing well at this pandemic times. I didn't touch my forum and your addon for long time, but now I got time, took a look, and noticed that PageSpeed insights still throwing that "eliminate render blocking resources" at css.php .

I noticed that fa-brands-400-min.woff2 is only 2.6kb, but it looks like it delays css.php loading for 0.5sec.

1.webp

So I unchecked everything under ACP -> Option -> Sharing;
Removed:
<link rel="preload" href="{{ base_url('styles/fonts/fa/fa-brands-400.woff2?_v=' . $faVersion) }}" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin="anonymous" />
from font_awesome_setup
and
* License - https://fontawesome.com/license (Commercial License)
*/@font-face{font-family:'Font Awesome 5 Brands';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;src:url...

from fa.css

However it looks like it conflicts with your addon as the size of fa file jumped back to 100+ kb. And solid-900 appeared.
Please advise how to proceed.

2.webp

I installed pyftsubset, however:
Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 4.06.35 PM.webp

I asked about it and they said:
The software appears to be looking in the user's home directory, or the PHP paths for these files, however according to the installation instructions the software was installed to the system path at /usr/local/bin/.

Any suggestions?

I noticed that fa-brands-400-min.woff2 is only 2.6kb, but it looks like it delays css.php loading for 0.5sec.
Brands is only loaded if required and configured correctly.
If you worry about that disable all brands based sharing options and set style property Font Awesome / Brands Icons = Lazy Load.

Removed:
<link rel="preload" href="{{ base_url('styles/fonts/fa/fa-brands-400.woff2?_v=' . $faVersion) }}" as="font" type="font/woff2" crossorigin="anonymous" />
from font_awesome_setup
and
* License - https://fontawesome.com/license (Commercial License)
*/@font-face{font-family:'Font Awesome 5 Brands';font-style:normal;font-weight:400;src:url...
from fa.css
Don't modify fa.css manually if you use Font Awesome Manager. In most cases this will cause issues.

However it looks like it conflicts with your addon as the size of fa file jumped back to 100+ kb. And solid-900 appeared.
Please advise how to proceed.
100+ kB doesn't seem right.
Revert fa.css, perform a rebuild with Log Level set to debug and check which icons exactly are included in the subset and why this is the csse.

Any suggestions?
Correctly configure (or disable if possible as it is bad for performance anyway) open_basedir.

Besides that, the correct path to the executable is most likely /usr/local/bin/pyftsubset, not /usr/local/bin/fonttools (unless the executable got renamed for some reason)

Last edited:
@Kirby finally getting around to playing with this awesome addon. One question if I am doing before and after page speed tests, do I only need to backup styles/fonts/fa directory and restore from backup to re-do before tests if needed?

Code:
# backup
\cp -af styles/fonts/fa styles/fonts/fa-backup
# restore
\cp -af styles/fonts/fa-backup styles/fonts/fa

@Kirby finally getting around to playing with this awesome addon. One question if I am doing before and after page speed tests, do I only need to backup styles/fonts/fa directory and restore from backup to re-do before tests if needed?

Code:
# backup
\cp -af styles/fonts/fa styles/fonts/fa-backup
# restore
\cp -af styles/fonts/fa-backup styles/fonts/fa
I might be wrong, but you don't need to backup as the addon doesn't modify font files but instead creates custom "min" files and uses them. If you turn the addon off later, the original files will be used again.

Using this addon on XF2.2.x and CentOS 7.9 default Python 2.7 (without the extra Python 3.x install).

I can just use pyftsubset with these pip install commands:
pip install fonttools
pip install Brotli

By doing so... Transfonter.org vs pyftsubset local (with Brotli maybe):
File size of fa-regular-400-min.woff2 decrease from 16.2kb to 15kb.
Nice :)

The problem with Transfonter.org is that they were literally spammed with requests due to incorrect use of the tool, especially in the test phase, with "Buildmode Automatic" and "Automatically add missing icons". That's why they blocked the Xf signature there.

In order to avoid this in the future, it is advisable to use the font tools (pyftsubset) as the default instead of transfonter.org.

The problem with Transfonter.org is that they were literally spammed with requests due to incorrect use of the tool, especially in the test phase, with "Buildmode Automatic" and "Automatically add missing icons". That's why they blocked the Xf signature there.

In order to avoid this in the future, it is advisable to use the font tools (pyftsubset) as the default instead of transfonter.org.
I believe that Transfonter is an option that available for everyone while pyftsubset does require a VPS and SSH connection to install. Or you must ask your shared hosting provider install pyftsubset on the server (properly they won't do that) and disable open_basedir restriction.

I might be wrong, but you don't need to backup as the addon doesn't modify font files but instead creates custom "min" files and uses them. If you turn the addon off later, the original files will be used again.
Cheers. Did my first run and looks good size wise with PixelExit's Flataweome+ style

Bash:
ls -lAhrt fonts/fa
total 1.9M
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 134K Jan 17 00:21 fa-solid-900.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 180K Jan 17 00:21 fa-solid-900.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 165K Jan 17 00:21 fa-regular-400.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 220K Jan 17 00:21 fa-regular-400.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 180K Jan 17 00:21 fa-light-300.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 240K Jan 17 00:21 fa-light-300.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 178K Jan 17 00:21 fa-duotone-900.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 253K Jan 17 00:21 fa-duotone-900.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  75K Jan 17 00:21 fa-brands-400.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  88K Jan 17 00:21 fa-brands-400.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 4.4K Feb  3 10:13 fa-brands-400-min.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 3.7K Feb  3 10:13 fa-brands-400-min.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  20K Feb  3 10:13 fa-light-300-min.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  16K Feb  3 10:13 fa-light-300-min.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  19K Feb  3 10:13 fa-regular-400-min.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  15K Feb  3 10:13 fa-regular-400-min.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  16K Feb  3 10:13 fa-solid-900-min.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  13K Feb  3 10:13 fa-solid-900-min.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  23K Feb  3 10:13 fa-duotone-900-min.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx  18K Feb  3 10:13 fa-duotone-900-min.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 1.6K Feb  3 10:13 fa-solid-900-man.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 1.2K Feb  3 10:13 fa-solid-900-man.woff2
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 1.6K Feb  3 10:13 fa-regular-400-man.woff
-rw-r--r-- 1 nginx nginx 1.1K Feb  3 10:13 fa-regular-400-man.woff2

Also posted an updated fonttools guide for Centmin Mod CentOS 7 users at https://community.centminmod.com/th...for-xenforo-font-awesome-manager-addon.22449/

while pyftsubset does require a VPS and SSH connection to install. Or you must ask your shared hosting provider install pyftsubset on the server (properly they won't do that) and disable open_basedir restriction.
You are right, transfonter.org must be used in this setup, but only then, but not by default. ;)

Precisely because the tool is so successful and is used by so many installations, I used the font tools early on and was therefore never affected by the 403 problem.

WPT test run https://community.centminmod.com/th...-font-awesome-manager-addon.22449/#post-91932

Look at Total Bytes size and the Speed Index/LCP times. Using worse case Moto G4, Chrome with 3G Fast 1.6Mbps download speed profile in Dulles, VA USA region. Note the mark_ft_s/mark_ft_e denote the start and end times for Fontawesome loading and difference is their load time. Forums has 2 Google Analytic trackers too one for GA v4 and one for GA Universal tag.

xf22-after-01.png

Not related to this addon, but discovered as a result of trying to use it. The square boxes (broken images) for seemingly anything that is related to FontAwesome, even when this addon is disabled. This happens across multiple styles so it seems to be global somewhere, I've tested disabling any other addons with but can't seem to nail it down. Any thoughts?

View attachment 264024
Is that a themehouse style? Are all effected styles themehouse?

Is that a themehouse style? Are all effected styles themehouse?
Yes and that was not FA, it was the actual style that needed to be updated. However, this addon simply won't work on my site even with any other styles, great concept but too many hurdles to get around so I gave up.

Yes and that was not FA, it was the actual style that needed to be updated. However, this addon simply won't work on my site even with any other styles, great concept but too many hurdles to get around so I gave up.
We were having the same problem. You would need to use pyftsubset if you want it to work on your second site. This is why:

We were having the same problem. You would need to use pyftsubset if you want it to work on your second site. This is why:
Okay, installed Python and pyftsubset without issue. When I enable it under options I have no problems and it appears to be reading the path as expected. However, when I try to invoke a modal window (as I mentioned earlier) it hangs trying to load it. Notably, when I click "Mark forums read" or "post new thread", it did this before as well and I've tried several combinations yet nothing resolves it. Any ideas?

while pyftsubset does require a VPS and SSH connection to install
This is not necessarily the case.
All that is required is a server that does allow programs to be executed via proc_open from a directory where the admin can upload a fle.

If pyftsubset is not installed and it can't be installed via shell (SSH), a pre-compiled single file binary could be used.
Unfortunately I can't upload this here, as the file is too big (a bit > 10 MB).

If somebody would like to provide hosting for a download of such a binary (Linux x64 only ATM, didn't have luck with Windows x64 yet) - feel free to contact me :)

This is not ideal, but should work in many cases (where installing via SSH is not an option).

However, when I try to invoke a modal window (as I mentioned earlier) it hangs trying to load it.
[...]
Any ideas?
Sounds rather strange, never heard of such an issue so far.
Do you get any errors in your browser developer console when this does happen?

If pyftsubset is not installed and it can't be installed via shell (SSH), a pre-compiled single file binary could be used.
Unfortunately I can't upload this here, as the file is too big (a bit > 10 MB).
Wow it's awesome to heard that. Why don't you just upload the file to Google Drive or something similar where only you can change the file. It's pretty dangerous if the guy provide you the hosting and then change the file to an infected one. Wouldn't those people will in risk?

Top Bottom