XF 2.1 Font Awesome 5, Editor button management, Markdown support and more!

We did say we'd see you again fairly soon and so here we are, hot on the heels of our push notifications announcement, to bring you an update on several more new features and improvements coming in XenForo 2.1.

Remember, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend smashing the "Watch forum" link here and enabling email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

Actually we don’t really provide a way to do that.

I’m fairly sure it’s not impossible anyway as it is. It’d just need some clever CSS.

Oh, so I guess I got ahead of myself when I saw the option to "choose an icon".. I guess that's just from fontawesome selections then? I know all the coloring and such would be CSS, was just hoping I could provide an icon INSTEAD of using fontawesome for the editor selections.

I guess I'll keep dreaming. ;)

Yeah that was just for the dropdown icons.

What I meant though is that even now you can probably use custom CSS to replace any editor button icon with a real image.

You’d likely have to do it by hiding the icon element and then applying a background image to the button.

I'm really liking the editor button editor (ouch!). :D And I can think of a lot of members who will make use of tables.

Is markdown something we can disable globally?

We're licensed to use Font Awesome 5 Pro, too, incidentally, so that is what is included, rather than the free version.

There's no way for us to provide their CDN functionality, unfortunately, but we are ok to provide it locally with the XenForo download under our license.
So, we would not be able to use pro icons from FA5 (including brands) or we would be able to use all icons from FA5?

Also I am pro user of FA5, so Pro CDN setting (The easiest way to use Font awesome Pro - Use our CDN to to deliver a cached version of Font Awesome to your project without managing files. Make quick work of upgrades and get to using icons faster) is impossible to implement into my xenforo forum?

So, we would not be able to use pro icons from FA5 (including brands) or we would be able to use all icons from FA5?
We include Font Awesome 5 Pro by default so you would be able to use any Pro icon. All icons.

Also I am pro user of FA5, so Pro CDN setting (The easiest way to use Font awesome Pro - Use our CDN to to deliver a cached version of Font Awesome to your project without managing files. Make quick work of upgrades and get to using icons faster) is impossible to implement into my xenforo forum?
You would have to implement it yourself via template edits, most likely. But ultimately probably not necessary as it would be served locally automatically anyway.

We include Font Awesome 5 Pro by default so you would be able to use any Pro icon. All icons.

You would have to implement it yourself via template edits, most likely. But ultimately probably not necessary as it would be served locally automatically anyway.

Bah and here I kickstarted FA5 for free Pro forever. Though locally is neat.

in PAGE_CONTAINER right under <head> insert your pro cdn link and you should be able to call all Icons as needed. Its what we do and it has worked flawlessly for us.

This is great improvement in editor, I think we will have many reasons to upgrade from XF1 :)

- Will it be possible to add editor in profile? will it possible to use Markdown in profile posts?
- How a wide table will look in mobile screen?
- Is there an option to justify the text?

These are some great upcoming changes, we are looking forward to start translating and eventually migrating to it from XF1.5.

But rather than parsing the Markdown to HTML on page load, we instead parse the Markdown to BB code at save time.
Markdown support is great, especially for the RTL community where bi-directional text mixes up with the markup mess of BBCode and makes it difficult to place the cursor where intended. That said, I liked the approach Discourse has taken as they do not transpile Markdown to BBCode on save, instead, they keep the original entry as is and save an additional cooked version of the post that is ready to serve without any changes (and update it every time the corresponding code is edited). This costs one extra column in the posts table, but the cost is worth the benefit, in my opinion. This means when a post is edited, we still have the original simpler format to deal with and not a BBCode mess as shown in a relevant post (by the way, that thread can now be marked implemented)

The "Data Tables" style of syntax that mostly uses pipe characters and new lines for cell/row separators is likely unfeasible as it's totally removed from any expectations set out in HTML.
Does this mean, the table formatting used in GitHub markdown is not supported?

So did you guys back in the early days and get the Theme License? Who on the team kept the coffee mug or T-shirt? :D

Similar to the "Gallery embed" (camera icon), I wish you would create a drop-down menu displaying all the user's attachments for placement, also.

Is markdown something we can disable globally?
It is not, no.
Thanks for the reply!

We may have to get an add-on made to disable it--one of our big boards is populated by older users, and I know that the stray punctuation that sometimes ends up in their posts will send markdown into fits, and discourage them from posting. I dislike markdown for my own reasons, but at least I can avoid it.

It might be a suggestion for 2.2, then, to give us the ability to disable it.

Top Bottom