XF 1.0 File Upload and Image Placement Using Quick Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody loves quick reply. Most forum software has implemented it in some form these days, but it tends to be lacking some functionality that means you often have to drag yourself back to the full editor page to achieve what you want, especially when it comes to attaching files to your messages.

XenForo allows you to upload files and place uploaded images into your posts right from the quick reply box when you're viewing a thread, you can then submit your message and it will be added to the discussion instantly.

... without ever leaving the page or opening a separate browser window.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

This is just extra, non-standard, unnecessary markup. I don't really see a point to this.
iOS does not support file uploads *at all*.
My main dev has an idea for allowing attachments (via iPhone/iPad) for our forum; if it works, we'll probably release it for other forums.

well i bet email clients are able to access files/images stored on the device? on android it is. iOS of course is a different breed. :|

No, we write to the file system. (Actually not in /attachments, but a couple specific places.)

Removing the post-bottom thumbnails if they have been attached is on the todo list, our approach makes it a little challenging however, so we have given it a low priority at present, while we work on more important functionality.

There's been a lot of posts in this thread since you posted this and I haven't read all but perhaps this could be achieved by having a tickbox next to each image like "Include image in attachmentslist"(could probably be named differently). That way you can turn it off per image.

I just love how easy it is in xenForo to attach files. :)
thumbs_up.jpg

and add them to the post.

When I say what vBulletin 4 did to uploading images, I knew it was now run by people who don't understand software development. I'd be a million dollars that Kier hates how vB4 uploads files / images. I know I do.

I just love how easy it is in xenForo to attach files. :)
thumbs_up.jpg

and add them to the post.

When I say what vBulletin 4 did to uploading images, I knew it was now run by people who don't understand software development. I'd be a million dollars that Kier hates how vB4 uploads files / images. I know I do.

That may be but I think it's important that we don't start bashing other companies. I like XF more than vB aswell but posting that they don't understand software development will only lead to flaming and possibly a thread-lock. :)

For me the vBulletin4 Attachment 'Manager' was indeed a puzzling state of affairs:

I hate Internet Brands vBulletin 4's attachment system with a passion: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?328191-The-Attachment-System
My dear God... imagine confronting my novice forum users with such an overwhelming system (which completely seems out-of-line / stitched upon the rest of the forum system doesn't it?)... no thank you. I almost never ever had the need to re-use any of my attachments on vBulletin.com for instance. And I posted a lot over there. In those 2 instances that I did need a previously uploaded attachment, I tried this new vB4 Attachment 'manager', but really.... how I am supposed to find my previous attachments back in a list of 56 pages?!! The only way to get some indication on attachments is to putting them in subfolders in the Attachment Manager and then you have the chance you can find something back. Although the chances are less then 1%, aren't they? I mean come on... do I really need to create subfolders to be able to find my stuff back? How unbelievable user unfriendly is that? Sure, this works on photographs on your local harddisk when you are managing photo's with your desktop OS, but surely a product like vBulletin is a whole different ball game.

Whoever came up with vB4's dreadful system... really. I hope XenForo ltd. actually thinks before putting up it's customers with a system so puzzling as that one.

I personally almost never had the need to re-use any content on my vB powered platform. When Internet Brands released their Attachment Manager for exactly this purpose, I was unpleasantly surprised. My God... how could they release something like that? On the top of this list you will find my complaints: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure...&requestId=10218
I am not using vB4 (still zipped on my harddisk), but I would have disabled this Attachment Manager immediately when I had a live board with vB4. Totally overwhelming for new/novice/regular users.

One of the many, many, many things that are so obviously wrong with Internet Brands's produced vBulletin4. And in the case of XenForo, one of the many, many, many things that are so right about this whole refreshing package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom