XF 1.0 File Upload and Image Placement Using Quick Reply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everybody loves quick reply. Most forum software has implemented it in some form these days, but it tends to be lacking some functionality that means you often have to drag yourself back to the full editor page to achieve what you want, especially when it comes to attaching files to your messages.

XenForo allows you to upload files and place uploaded images into your posts right from the quick reply box when you're viewing a thread, you can then submit your message and it will be added to the discussion instantly.

... without ever leaving the page or opening a separate browser window.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I suggest you view this video at full-size by clicking the full-screen gadget in the bottom-right of the video.

You can only upload one file at a time with HTML's <input type="file" />. (Yes, you can use Flash to upload multiple files.)

I'm afraid I am again lost for words, which doesn't really do justice to the time and effort put into this, but I've run out of positive phrases to use....

The plus of the html input tag is that is universal and it never broke.
I think this kind of "upload manager" in more than enought for now =)

I do not know how near you. I have opera 10.6. Files are attached (see after sending) process itself is not visible.

You are right, it does not work with Opera.
I'll report it as a bug.

------- Edit/Update -------

I've reported it HERE.

Americans will be biased as Kier's English. (While I suppose I have a Philadelphian accent, with saying "wuder" [water] and all... :))

I guess you don't realize that you have adopted a bit on an English "lilt". ;)

Now this is something that will be embraced by my 400,000+ members. :up: :up:

Great job!!
Removing the post-bottom thumbnails if they have been attached is on the todo list, our approach makes it a little challenging however, so we have given it a low priority at present, while we work on more important functionality.
(thinking out loud - how about changing display (css) via javascript?)

Awesome. :)
Only two things to make it perfect:
1- The ability to select/upload multiple images at once.
2- The ability to hide the post-bottom thumbnail.

Although I see the advantages of #1, I'm not hung up on that being a 'must-have'. For #2, I think it would be a nice option to have available. And, I'd like to add a #3 ...

3- The ability to have the picture allow text to wrap. So, it has the image within the context of the story and displaying like a nice article :)

But, even if these three items were not added...this is a GREAT feature! One of many! :)

3 is easily achieved with a float BBCode.
I have created custom left and right float code on my site for that very purpose.

Although I see the advantages of #1, I'm not hung up on that being a 'must-have'. For #2, I think it would be a nice option to have available. And, I'd like to add a #3 ...

3- The ability to have the picture allow text to wrap. So, it has the image within the context of the story and displaying like a nice article :)

But, even if these three items were not added...this is a GREAT feature! One of many! :)

3 is easily achieved with a float BBCode.
I have created custom left and right float code on my site for that very purpose.

Yes, But it would be nice to have this by default. (I really like default features :))

float BBCODE is the way to go

However, wouldn't it be great whenever we click (Align right/left) on an image that it will automatically set it to float right/left ??

(on everything else the Align Right/Left behaves as it should)

Yes, But it would be nice to have this by default. (I really like default features :))

If everyone got what they personally wanted as default features then XF would collapse under its own weight ;)

I would like to see a lot of other BBCodes as default features but they're not going to be.
As long as I can add them myself though and hopefully add a button to the editor, it won't be a problem.

Yep, But some features are very simple to have them by default, yet are very useful almost for all users. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom