Features I don't like in xenForo

I don't like my avatar to show beside the reply box at the bottom of a page. I keep thinking that it's another post or the thread is finished.

If it's kept, then at least move the pagination links above the replybox.

There is very little I do not like in xenForo.

However:

Sometimes I have the feeling minimalism/the clean interface is chosen above usability. 2 examples:

• Forum description in a mouseover popup. Not very userfriendly for every site... I want my users to see what the forums are about immediately. Now with this mouseover popup, people are forced to mouseover on every single forumtitle to learn what the forums is about. Really, it might look cool/modern, but the usability suffers,
  • Same more or less goes for the subforums being presented inside a dropdown in forumoverview. Why hide stuff like this? Again, it looks very slick/good as an interface, but does it serve the best overall purpose? I don't believe so for every site. However, point 1 (forumdescriptions) is the most important constructive critism I have at the moment)

I understand your point but this method prevents the boards from extending pages down and also it suggests that you'd only really hover over a forum with the intention of clicking it or finding out what it's about! I like that feature.

Sub-forums I kind of agree with, its good to see child forums relating to the current one but I also like the drop-down too... either doesn't bother me ;)

• Forum description in a mouseover popup. Not very userfriendly for every site... I want my users to see what the forums are about immediately. Now with this mouseover popup, people are forced to mouseover on every single forumtitle to learn what the forums is about. Really, it might look cool/modern, but the usability suffers,

This can be easily changed using a template edit. Same thing for the subforum dropdown. It would literally take like 1 minute to change both of those. :)

I love xenForo and basically all that is in it but the only things i think that needs work on is the structure of the urls :)
Can you explain? The structure of the URL's is great, especially for SEO purposes. :)

This can be easily changed using a template edit. Same thing for the subforum dropdown. It would literally take like 1 minute to change both of those. :)

Can you explain? The structure of the URL's is great, especially for SEO purposes. :)

I mean yeah it's nice that it is SEO friendly but i think the structure needs a more logical approach. Something like:

xenforo.com/community/noun/verb - for action based requests

Example:

xenforo.com/community/members/editstatus
xenforo.com/community/settings/changepassword

and

xenforo.com/community/noun/ID-Title - for ID based requests

Example:

xenforo.com/community/threads/123-The-Most-Awesome-Foro-Software

The way I see it with features, avoid nonsense options such as display of pagenav and avatar stuff. Leave that for coders that way the admins have more options on whether they want that at all. Plus it gives us coders something to do. LOL

There are many nice things to day about XenForo, especially given that it's only an Alpha (since loads of features are missing).

Should I buy XenForo, the first things I'd like to change is the light yellow/light orange bars, make lots of the very light blue stuf a new color (eg. Thread Display Options), and do something with the fact that Personal Conversations/Your News Feed doesn't have the same location as What's New.

Also, Watched Threads appear two different places. IMO everything related to NEW should appear in the same, single area. Btw, the NEW icon in each post is more or less invisible. And I'd prefer to have the post date in the upper right corner instead of having it between the posts.

I'd also change how the popup text behaves (the one that describes each forum): better to make it pop up only if the user positions the mouse over a specific place, eg. the post icon.

And while I personally like the Georgia font, maybe a simple user setting, allowing the users to choose a 'master font' for the whole forum would be good?

With friendly urls, the thread id could exist only to differentiate between two identically titled threads. Now, I do think there should be a short URL link at the top of each thread with just like /st=27491 for pasting to other sites or in email.

Hmm I just tested and if you remove the threadid it fails to load. So for now, the threadid is important and the stub (friendly name) is decorative).

I don't (!!!) like the bad facebook implementation on the thread pages. It ruins the Like system here.

#1 "xenforo Like" this thread
#2 If I liked it, then I see the facebook like it. But not before!

Top Bottom