1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FastCGI error on install/step/2b

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Shaun Mason, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Active Member

When I try to install, I receive the following error message: I tried to increase the timeout in one of the .js files, but still no dice.

FastCGI Error

The FastCGI Handler was unable to process the request.
    Error Details:
    • The FastCGI process exited unexpectedly
    • Error Number: -1073741819 (0xc0000005).
    • Error Description: Unknown Error
    HTTP Error 500 - Server Error.
    Internet Information Services (IIS)

2. Shaun Mason

Well, I am pretty disappointed I can't XenForo installed...maybe tomorrow will be a better day.

3. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

Ok Shaun ! hold your horses :D

looks like you have a problem with php configuration. (most likely)

Let's start with this :
    open up a command window and type this :
    php-cgi.exe -v

Note the errors you will get (missing DLL files most likely) and the php version. and post back

4. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

I don't know your specific configuration, but we put XenForo on a new test server with PHP 5.3.3 / FastCGI / IIS6 / MySQL 5.1.

We did it the quick and dirty way, just running the installer for both FastCGI and PHP 5.3.3 (NTS). I ran into some problems with FastCGI & PHP when trying manually configure something, similar to the error you are getting there.

It has something do with rights, but I never traced the problem fully. Using the installers vs. manual configuration, solved the rights issue...

Hope this helps in your case...

5. Shaun Mason

PHP 5.2.6, but no errors. I also get some info about the Zend framework being installed.

6. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

That web installer by microsoft is a joke.
    missing DLLs and screwed up paths.
    best way to go is to install and configure everything manually.

This is IIS/FastCGI issue with most PHP applications. once setup and configured correctly IIS is a little gem :D

7. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

ok then

open up the php error log.
    Go to c:\windows\temp and look for a file called php log or error php something.
    open it with your notepad and copy/paste what you see

8. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

Never use a web installer. There is a download instead, much cleaner. (For those who think about using the web installer.)

Nizar Meddeb likes this.
  9. Blandt

Blandt Well-Known Member

well I'm lazy :D and it is really tempting to just click my way out, but I learned the hard way :D