XF 1.4 EXIF Rotation works with GD?

potito

Hi, In my forum some users complains because when they upload images directly from cellular or tablets, the image appears in bad position.

I need to select the Imagemagick option in ACP to solve this problem?
If I select the Imagemagick option, this extension change all current images, or only the new uploaded images?
Thanks!!

This is likely specific to iOS devices but i dont think switching to "Imagemagick" is going to solve that problem.. I use Imagemagick on my own forums and this is still an ongoing problem on my sites..

EXIF rotation will work with GD and does not require Image Magick.

It should just work out of the box on JPG images.

I'm surprised to hear this isn't working as expected as I believe I have seen it working correctly any time I have uploaded an image from my iPhone.

If there are any images which aren't rotating as expected it may be worth uploading them here to see if you can reproduce the issue.

EXIF rotation will work with GD and does not require Image Magick.

It should just work out of the box on JPG images.

I'm surprised to hear this isn't working as expected as I believe I have seen it working correctly any time I have uploaded an image from my iPhone.

If there are any images which aren't rotating as expected it may be worth uploading them here to see if you can reproduce the issue.
I think in my case it might be my gallery plugin.. (not yours) I dont recall the problem being thread related.. I do recall inquiring about this very issue in the past and the consensus was likely a server misconfiguration? its doesnt happen enough that its really a problem. But i digress, this isnt my thread..

If you do notice it in the Gallery you use, try it uploaded to a post, just to check it works ok.

It's been a while since I implemented EXIF rotation in Xen Media Gallery but I don't recall anything specifically server config related that would affect it.

Hmm it doesn't appear that I have exif rotation installed, I don't see it on my list when I look at phpinfo...and I'm having a hard time finding it in WHM, any hints?

NVM I found it, had to go through EasyApache, recompiling PHP now

Yup that was it, working now

Last edited:
Did you guys figure out why some photos wouldn't rotate it the gallery? @FredC

I'm having issues with Sonnb's XenGallery not rotating images. I have posted on his site, but I think he's busy at the mo, so trying to troubleshoot.

I've got EXIF installed, and they show correctly in threads, but not when uploaded to the gallery.

I'm using Easy Apache and multi php if that makes any difference, with V7 on this particular site.. All versions of php on the server have exif compiled with it.

upload_2016-9-22_10-14-26.webp

Based on what you've said, if it's working under normal conditions (e.g. uploading to a thread), it would point to the issue being with the add-on itself.

I understand your reasoning there, but by the same token it can't be your server if it works for normal attachments.

I would pursue this with the add-on author and your hosts if it's a server issue.

Top Bottom