XF 1.3 EXIF Rotation, ACP Searching, Proxying and Change Logging

Here are a handful of new 1.3 features neatly packaged up into a single video for your viewing entertainment...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Update, Jan 15 - Case Sensitivity 101

There have been various questions about what case sensitive searching means in the video...

In a nutshell, without case sensitivity, searching for 'Foo' would return all results containing any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters spelling 'foo', such as 'foo', 'fOo', 'foO' and 'Foo'.

However, with case sensitivity enabled, searching for 'Foo' would only return results that contain exactly 'Foo', while other combinations of uppercase and lowercase letters would be ignored.

Last edited:
Not sure if exif data even exists for this, but some self-facing camera shots are mirror images. Would be cool if those could be flipped automatically too

Not sure if exif data even exists for this, but some self-facing camera shots are mirror images. Would be cool if those could be flipped automatically too
I'm fairly sure that is a part of the exif feature. It should be at least.
Indeed.

This information is kept in the Orientation attribute in the EXIF data.

There's 8 possible orientations and depending on the stored value you would either flip/flop/rotate or a combination of those to reorientate the image.

It certainly does take the front camera mirror imaging into consideration.

Hi!!

These are fantastic additions!

I have a question regarding the link proxy system.... are the links redirected at the javascript level or is the proxy link hardcoded in the HTML?

Reason I ask is that some advertisers require direct, non proxied, non redirecting links to their domains wherever those links occur.... will the proxy system satisfy this? If it doesn't can an exclusion system be built in so links on certain domains be excluded?

Last edited:
I see the options for proxying are:
> No Proxy
> Proxy Images
> Proxy Images and Links

I hope there is also a option to proxy only links, since to those who (including me) don't utilize SSL and/or are with limited disk space but would like to know more information about links, knowing which links are being clicked and to where is very useful. I agree with @Adam Howard on the point of also being able to see this in PM, it'd really help us find those who advertise via PM or share links that shouldn't be shared via PM's.

1.3 just keeps getting better!

Check this screenshot from the last video for the link proxy :cool:(y)
http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-code-and-multiquote.66976/page-2#post-703898

I'm confused what image proxy, or link proxy actually do for either the administrator side or the user side. I understand that one of the image proxy features is being able to "stretch" the image based on responsive or browser size - is that available also WITHOUT proxy in case I don't really understand how it affects me as an administrator?

Proxying has nothing to do with image size or browser width.
So, if I upgrade to 1.3.. I will get the same "stretch out" / "shrink in" as shown in the video - with proxy turned off? Is that what you're saying here? If so, coo'. I thought the stretching had something to do with these proxy stuff.

Are you talking about 3 minutes in where Kier resizes his browser window and the images are responsive?

If so, that's been in XenForo since 1.2 was released...

So, if I upgrade to 1.3.. I will get the same "stretch out" / "shrink in" as shown in the video - with proxy turned off? Is that what you're saying here? If so, coo'. I thought the stretching had something to do with these proxy stuff.
Watch the video, its pretty self explanatory what the proxying feature does.

You are missing something because it is very clear if you listen to it what the image proxying feature does.

At what point does Kier say? "Oh look at these pretty images shrinking responsively as I resize my browser. That's what image proxying is.". He doesn't say that. He explains it very clearly.

Last edited:
You are missing something because it is very clear if you listen to it what the image proxying feature does.

At what point does Kier say? "Oh look at these pretty images shrinking responsively as I resize my browser. That's what image proxying is.". He doesn't say that. He explains it very clearly.
1.) I'm not technical, so I don't know how this affects the adminstrator or the user or from the server side of things.
2.) I'm deaf. I have hearing aids, but I can't hear clearly or as perfectly as you folks do.

1.) I'm not technical, so I don't know how this affects the adminstrator or the user or from the server side of things.
2.) I'm deaf. I have hearing aids, but I can't hear clearly or as perfectly as you folks do.

When people link to images on other sites the new caching feature grabs a copy, plonks it on your server (for a few days) and serves it from your server if any more requests/page views are made.

The image expires after a while, but whilst it is cached on your server it makes for faster delivery of the image, ensures the image is available (if it is removed from the remote/original location) and, more importantly, stops certificate warnings if you use SSL for your site because it's served by your own server and not an "insecure" external source.

My understanding is that you can tune it to store the images for longer / shorter periods - but it's one of those things that you might not really have a use for at the moment.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

When people link to images on other sites the new caching feature grabs a copy, plonks it on your server (for a few days) and serves it from your server if any more requests/page views are made.

The image expires after a while, but whilst it is cached on your server it makes for faster delivery of the image, ensures the image is available (if it is removed from the remote/original location) and, more importantly, stops certificate warnings if you use SSL for your site because it's served by your own server and not an "insecure" external source.

My understanding is that you can tune it to store the images for longer / shorter periods - but it's one of those things that you might not really have a use for at the moment
I went like "OOOOoooh, so that's what it's supposed to solve!" Now I understand completely.

Thank you for explaining it! :oops::X3:

I went like "OOOOoooh, so that's what it's supposed to solve!" Now I understand completely.
I'm finding it useful for a few other reasons as well. In particular, by looking at the logs I'm finding some dead links on old pages where the remote image doesn't exist anymore. I am also finding some internal links showing up because they are using www.{site} instead of just {site} -- I have a redirect pointing www.{site} to {site} but now, with them showing up in the proxy log, it is motivating me to do a data scrub to fix the www.{site} links.

I'm finding it useful for a few other reasons as well. In particular, by looking at the logs I'm finding some dead links on old pages where the remote image doesn't exist anymore. I am also finding some internal links showing up because they are using www.{site} instead of just {site} -- I have a redirect pointing www.{site} to {site} but now, with them showing up in the proxy log, it is motivating me to do a data scrub to fix the www.{site} links.
I saw that, and thought the same.

Top Bottom