XF 1.3 EXIF Rotation, ACP Searching, Proxying and Change Logging

Here are a handful of new 1.3 features neatly packaged up into a single video for your viewing entertainment...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Update, Jan 15 - Case Sensitivity 101

There have been various questions about what case sensitive searching means in the video...

In a nutshell, without case sensitivity, searching for 'Foo' would return all results containing any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters spelling 'foo', such as 'foo', 'fOo', 'foO' and 'Foo'.

However, with case sensitivity enabled, searching for 'Foo' would only return results that contain exactly 'Foo', while other combinations of uppercase and lowercase letters would be ignored.

Last edited:
The ACP search is going to be a huge time saver for me! While I sometimes live an entire week in the ACP working on forum issues, sometimes I'm having to hunt and peck to find a single feature. This is great--I hopped right to the setting to enable multi-quote on our test forum. 30 seconds, and I was done!

When people link to images on other sites the new caching feature grabs a copy, plonks it on your server (for a few days) and serves it from your server if any more requests/page views are made.

The image expires after a while, but whilst it is cached on your server it makes for faster delivery of the image, ensures the image is available (if it is removed from the remote/original location) and, more importantly, stops certificate warnings if you use SSL for your site because it's served by your own server and not an "insecure" external source.

My understanding is that you can tune it to store the images for longer / shorter periods - but it's one of those things that you might not really have a use for at the moment.

Cheers,
Shaun :D
I prefer this method than metamirror cause I didn't know my attachments total size would increase as much as it did.
I'm finding it useful for a few other reasons as well. In particular, by looking at the logs I'm finding some dead links on old pages where the remote image doesn't exist anymore. I am also finding some internal links showing up because they are using www.{site} instead of just {site} -- I have a redirect pointing www.{site} to {site} but now, with them showing up in the proxy log, it is motivating me to do a data scrub to fix the www.{site} links.
Doesn't @AndyB have a dead links detecting addon? Does the 1.3 proxy log work the same as his addon?

Here are a handful of new 1.3 features neatly packaged up into a single video for your viewing entertainment...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View on Vimeo

Update, Jan 15 - Case Sensitivity 101

There have been various questions about what case sensitive searching means in the video...

In a nutshell, without case sensitivity, searching for 'Foo' would return all results containing any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters spelling 'foo', such as 'foo', 'fOo', 'foO' and 'Foo'.

However, with case sensitivity enabled, searching for 'Foo' would only return results that contain exactly 'Foo', while other combinations of uppercase and lowercase letters would be ignored.

Nice! Will the proxy support iframe proxy of websites, to embed something if they don't have HTTPS support for your HTTPS site?

ACP search has been in the system for quite a while now.
Yeah, but not as evolved or as "mature" as it is now. The improvements include EXACT words we're looking for, and not just restricted to code.

In other words, if we're looking for a modification we did earlier, we can just type in the last thing we remember about that modification.

ACP Searching is in thread title, and the video talks a little bit more about the small improvements to the system.

That's what @Rudy was talking about.

I'm slightly confused.

If the images are set to be served from the server due to the proxy, won't that eat up all your space or is it only stored temp?
It will eat your disk space, for how many period you set on this option:
upload_2014-2-25_22-55-58.webp

I think the default is 7 days - but as far as I know you can adjust it to suit. (y)
It will eat your disk space, for how many period you set on this option:
View attachment 68050

Thanks!

Does it in any way shape or form retain the file name in the URL?

Due to the sheer number of pictures that our users like to post everywhere, We are number one in a few strange search queries according to google webmasters.

Like "Cute Korean Models"

And just weird stuff like that. All because our site entered that phase where everyone started liking Girls Generation Band.

So if it completely made it so that you couldn't tell what the image relates to by just looking at the URL, Google Bots shouldn't be able to continue to apply those keywords right?

I am overjoyed with the image proxying, it's perfect! One thing worth noting that in the video it's a radio button selection and the 1.3.0 has check boxes (better!) and the Key field can be anything you want. Had to search on that, I thought at first that it was tied to the SSL cert key somehow.

EXIF rotation: awesome

change logging: awesome

xF development staff: super awesome

Top Bottom