Not planned Encourage Site Admins to Update PHP

⭐ Alex ⭐

During HYS and 2 months after a new version releases, let's add a dismissable banner to the top of the admin control panel to encourage site admins to upgrade their PHP to the latest version their forum supports. We need to help encourage admins to update PHP so that XF developers can use the latest language advancements sooner, and spend less time using older language versions. This will increase productivity.

Your web server is running PHP 7.1. PHP 7.4 or newer will be required for XenForo 2.3. It's recommended to update to PHP 8.2, the latest version your forum supports.

Starting in XF 2.3, addons should require a new property in their metadata that specifies a range or list of PHP versions it supports. That can be queried to determine the latest PHP version someone's forum supports.

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Better yet, there could be an entire dedicated section to PHP updating that has the list of your addons and the PHP versions they support. If there was a section like this that does the work of determining what version of PHP is the latest supported by the forum, I'm sure many would even treat is as a game to just keep that section green and up to date.

Starting in XF 2.3, addons should require a new property in their metadata that specifies a range or list of PHP versions it supports. That can be queried to determine the latest PHP version someone's forum supports.

There are 2000+ addons that would need to be updated to support this.

While it's a nice idea, I do agree with what @MySiteGuy said. It would require all addons on your site to also work with the software.
Kind of a catch 22.. There is no encouragement for those developers to "move forward" since they don't have to. So what is the better option... falling further and further behind because some developers may not want to "move forward" (hey, PHP 8.0 goes EOL in about 2 months, PHP 7.4 went EOL almost a year ago) or get with more up to date offerings? You would think those developers over that time period would have "moved forward. There are a few paid script providers that REQUIRE you to be on at least PHP 8.1 (I think it is) now to run their scripts.
If someones host can't support 8.0 at a minimum... it's time to look for new hosting.
No different that certain progressive developers requiring XF 2.2.x to run use their current add-ons.
Moving forward can sometimes be painful... but usually it's a "good" thing.

We already have this in the admin control panel and further notices aren't necessary.

We have identified some cases where the notice does not show, or displays outdated information so that will be fixed but there won't be a need for any further notices as suggested here.

Was going to say i thought this was already implemented in earlier versions hence why i waited for someone from staff here to confirm.
You can easily fix you're own php level up anyway as most CPanels have the function at your fingertips.

Top Bottom