[EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget

[EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget 1.3

No permission to download
Love this add-on, i have a question is it possible to pull an image from the category node? i have your add-on setup as a homepage and have 1 block that sits at the top with the main post from members. It currently has a background image but i want it to display the image of the category someone posts in?
1613929408556.webp
Link to homepage https://rivalgaming.com/

Love this add-on, i have a question is it possible to pull an image from the category node? i have your add-on setup as a homepage and have 1 block that sits at the top with the main post from members. It currently has a background image but i want it to display the image of the category someone posts in?
View attachment 246929
Link to homepage https://rivalgaming.com/

Nice looking home page, and happy you like the add-on, :)

To answer your question, I would have to add it as an option. The problem I see, is that the cover images you use for your category nodes are pretty huge, and I'm not sure what kind of performance hit they would cause. I would also need to know where the covers are stored, and in what format the source file is in (so the node id can be used to fetch the right cover).

Hi @Lawrence
Images are on my server and I'm using TH nodes add-on.

I see that, :) I inspected a node cover on your site, so the filenames of node images are the title of the node. It can be done, via a template edit, but it would be best done as an added option in the widget, to save unnecessary loading of attachment data.

I see that, :) I inspected a node cover on your site, so the filenames of node images are the title of the node. It can be done, via a template edit, but it would be best done as an added option in the widget, to save unnecessary loading of attachment data.
Awesome that would be amazing!

Really wonderful! Thank you.
Just one thing, please.

If i dont want to show the newest things, but just always the same ten threads, i need maybe one more detail to fetch them.
A prefix for example?

$thread.prefix_id=='123' maybe?

or

$thread.User.userid == '123'

Something like this?

Lawrence updated [EAE Add-ons] Thread preview widget with a new update entry:
  • Cover source - you may choose to use an image for the cover from the first post or the last post
I've got mine for Use Covers: Yes, Cover Source: First Post.
The threads are displayed within the widget, but no image is used. The image(s) in the first post are URL inserts. Does it only work for uploaded images, and not URL image inserts?

Really wonderful! Thank you.
Just one thing, please.

If i dont want to show the newest things, but just always the same ten threads, i need maybe one more detail to fetch them.
A prefix for example?

$thread.prefix_id=='123' maybe?

or

$thread.User.userid == '123'

Something like this?

I'll add it to my to-do list, I'm just not sure when the next update will be.

I've got mine for Use Covers: Yes, Cover Source: First Post.
The threads are displayed within the widget, but no image is used. The image(s) in the first post are URL inserts. Does it only work for uploaded images, and not URL image inserts?

It works for only image attachments at this time, I'll look into supporting URL's.

To-do list:
  • add support for covers (use the forum cover, if available, for thread covers)
  • add option to fetch threads by prefix id or user id
  • add support for fetching thread covers by URL

I'll look into supporting URL's.
Thanks.
I'm highlighting news and press release node/threads, and almost exclusively they use URL insert images. Looks great for article type nodes, and would like them to look just as great sourced from this addon :)

May someone has a tipp where or how i can rid of the function/css that changes the visibility at the end of the text?

May someone has a tipp where or how i can rid of the function/css that changes the visibility at the end of the text?
I never dug into that, so as it uses the same CSS as articles do for that (message.less? I believe), you would need to over-write it in the less template provided with the add-on so it does not change the look/behaviour of normal articles in other forums. I'm not into CSS/styling so maybe someone else can provide a more detail set of steps, :)

Hi @Lawrence

but it is not displayed.
No matter what I try. At first I thought it was because of our style. So I tested it with the xf style, but nothing.
Then I switched off all other addons, but nothing.

1618636071768.webp

1618636308384.webp

1618636343877.webp

I also created a page to embed it there, but nothing.
What i make wrong?

Actually, I want to display the widget in a specific subforum. I use this code in temlate forum_view:

Code:
<xf:if is="$forum.node_id == 225">  <xf:widget key="eae_page_view_thread_preview" /></xf:if>

But that doesn't work either.
Maybe you have an idea?

Hi @Lawrence

but it is not displayed.
No matter what I try. At first I thought it was because of our style. So I tested it with the xf style, but nothing.
Then I switched off all other addons, but nothing.

View attachment 250386

View attachment 250389

View attachment 250390

I also created a page to embed it there, but nothing.
What i make wrong?

Actually, I want to display the widget in a specific subforum. I use this code in temlate forum_view:

Code:
<xf:if is="$forum.node_id == 225">  <xf:widget key="eae_page_view_thread_preview" /></xf:if>

But that doesn't work either.
Maybe you have an idea?

Good morning, :)

What you are asking to do is not what this add-on is designed for. It is made to be displayed in page nodes (which you can set to display in all page nodes, or a specific one and make that your home page if you like).

If you want to display a specific page node (that is used for this add-on) that is a child node of a forum you can do that, but it will display the page node as a sub forum, and clicking that will display posts from the forums you select from the widgets options to display in article format. What you highlighted in yellow in your screenshot tells the widget where to fetch the posts from, and with your selection, it will grab posts from all your forums to be displayed.

WRT my site (link in my sig - which is not an ideal example because of the type of posts the site gets), I chose not to display the page node as a home page, but rather as a category on the forum list page. If I want to place it within a specific node, I just need to set the page node parent in the AdminCP to that node, and it will show within that node (again as a child node).

Have a great and safe day,
Lawrence

Hi @Lawrence

Thank you for the quick reply.

I have now tested it as you intended.
First i created a page (thread preview). I did not use html there and save the site.

1618663908227.webp

Then I go to your widget and choose the following settings.

1618664103044.webp
1618664180009.webp

On the start page, the page I created previously is displayed.

1618664331765.webp

And that's what I see when I open the page.
1618664366091.webp

Why am I not seeing anything?
I have uninstalled the addon again and installed it again.
I have also tested it with /pages/thread-preview/ and /thread-preview/.
Nothing is displayed.

I am almost sure that the problem lies with me. :cool:

Good day, :)

Does your selected forums contain viewable threads? It does filter out threads that are not viewable. That's the only thing I can think of as your settings look right (except for your Maximum image width setting, which would still fetch threads anyways).

Hi,

Lets say that you have 2 pages (page_1 and page_2) work with [EAE] Thread preview widget set on [EAE] Page view: Above content display position. There is also another widget called "top_of_home_page". How can you show "top_of_home_page" ONLY on page_1?

Thank you.

Top Bottom