Dropbox

Got a notice from them, the 2gb is now added :D 12,25 gb now. Niiice.

Immediately made use of it by dedicating 1gb as alternative CDN directory for a few web sites (handy for .js/.css includes, etc).

Got a notice from them, the 2gb is now added :D 12,25 gb now. Niiice.

Immediately made use of it by dedicating 1gb as alternative CDN directory for a few web sites (handy for .js/.css includes, etc).

I just installed dropbox for 1st time on 1 pc ...
How did you get 12gb ? On their site it says that for free is only 2gb ,
50gb and 100gb account types are paid ..
Or ~12gb = 6 linked pc's ?

You get another 250MB for each user that you refer up to a maximum of 8GB extra. They are now also awarding there current users with an extra 2GB each and slowly rolling this out to everyone. So the normal 2GB + referal 8GB + bonus 2GB = 12GB... you also get 250MB if you complete some getting started tasks so all in all 12.25GB

Finish the intro tutor for 250mb, refer friends (up to 8gb) for 250mb per completed referral.

I've been hearing dropbox is not a really secure service and I'm wary to use it anymore. Have any of you lost anything or heard stories of people's dropbox account getting hacked or whatever?

I've been hearing dropbox is not a really secure service and I'm wary to use it anymore. Have any of you lost anything or heard stories of people's dropbox account getting hacked or whatever?
It's online, therefore never truly safe.

This site can provide similar to dropbox benefits with hundreds of GBs free space. Initially it would be a 20GB and then you refer friends and get 5 GB with each referral. You might want to look at that.

This site can provide similar to dropbox benefits with hundreds of GBs free space. Initially it would be a 20GB and then you refer friends and get 5 GB with each referral. You might want to look at that.
Subtle reflink there.

If you have a hosting account why not install OwnCloud script , your only limits are what your hosting provides..
Shared hosts generally do not look kindly on using your account like that, so that might cause some issues for some people.

Subtle reflink there.

Sure it is a reflink. However, it was a honest suggestion. I have spent days to search for services like dropbox with larger space and same speed and security. And finally I found one for my requirement. We are using this service for our enterprise data sharing between different business units. We have around 100 GB space but I personally know people who have earned 1000 GB s space easily by just sharing through social network sites.

Sure it is a reflink. However, it was a honest suggestion. I have spent days to search for services like dropbox with larger space and same speed and security. And finally I found one for my requirement. We are using this service for our enterprise data sharing between different business units. We have around 100 GB space but I personally know people who have earned 1000 GB s space easily by just sharing through social network sites.
How does it deal with version conflicts when you have one file in the sync folder on your PC for instance and the same file in the sync folder on your Mac that has the same name?

Dropbox is my primary program because a lot of things I use integrate into it (Fabrik E-reader for one). I use Google Drive for documents and note taking (especially now that Asana integrates into it). I have some stuff on Skydrive but I don't use it all that much.

I've tried out AeroFS which is an alternative to OwnCloud, however I dislike the Java dependency and it tends to have hiccups that spike CPU quite a bit.

I've played with OwnCloud as well, but I forget why I didn't like it all that much at the time.

Never used it, don't feel the need to use it. It's like that Google Drive thing that google provide? or vice versa since Dropbox entered this side of the market first?

It depends what you are putting on the cloud. What is this businesses industry?

Top Bottom