Browser issue dolphin browser - raw editor only

Adam Howard

At this time dolphin browser is the 2nd most installed browser on Android market. So I figure it was worth a testing.

Can't click inside the editor window to type anything in the normal editor. Had to exit the rich text editor to type this out.

Current version tested.

I've just tested this site using Dolphin (latest version) on Android 2.2 and can confirm that the Rich Text Editor does not display.

It works fine for me in Android 4.1 (Dolphin 10). This makes me think that it might be that it doesn't work in Android 2, which isn't that surprising as Android didn't properly support contenteditable then. We don't actually load the RTE if the user agent reports Android 2 though.

For anyone with a non-working RTE in Dolphin (as in, it loads but you can't type into it -- not that it doesn't load), can you check your user agent here? http://whatsmyua.com/

Dolphin allows all sorts of user agent masking which means that we can't necessarily detect this properly. (And older mobile OSes appear to support contenteditable, they just don't bring up the keyboard.)

It works fine for me in Android 4.1 (Dolphin 10). This makes me think that it might be that it doesn't work in Android 2, which isn't that surprising as Android didn't properly support contenteditable then. We don't actually load the RTE if the user agent reports Android 2 though.

That's a real shame, as the people most likely to use Dolphin on Android are those using Android 2 seeing as it doesn't support Chrome or Firefox. :(

Your User Agent is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; en-us; Amazon Kindle Fire Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30

For anyone with a non-working RTE in Dolphin (as in, it loads but you can't type into it -- not that it doesn't load), can you check your user agent here? http://whatsmyua.com/

Dolphin allows all sorts of user agent masking which means that we can't necessarily detect this properly. (And older mobile OSes appear to support contenteditable, they just don't bring up the keyboard.)

Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to fix this.

I can actually get the keyboard to trigger in a few situations, generally when clicking in a very specific error. It's an issue inside the browser where it simply doesn't register that the click happened. It appears to be specific to the iframe method for an editor.

I'm building a reduced test case to send to the Dolphin developers.

Top Bottom