Does XenForo support sticky threads?

You may be wondering why you hadn't noticed the sticky thread in this forum.

That is the entire point. If sticky threads are highlighted obviously, users suffer from 'sticky blindness' where they start reading the thread list from underneath the stickies, as they assume they have already seen whatever is stuck there.

If you want your users to actually read your stickies, they should look basically identical to normal threads.

That is the entire point. If sticky threads are highlighted obviously, users suffer from 'sticky blindness' where they start reading the thread list from underneath the stickies, as they assume they have already seen whatever is stuck there.

If you want your users to actually read your stickies, they should look basically identical to normal threads.

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to a highlight class or something though? Make the thread stick out until it's read, and then simply remove the class after so it blends in with the rest of the forum.

In that way there's special attention drawn to that particular thread the first time, and once it's been read, it blends in with everything else.

Yeah, I agree that there should be some sort of visual cue other than the pushpin icon, which can be out of the user's field of view on wider monitors like mine. I honestly was trying to figure out why that thread was at the top of the forum each time, and that's when I went over to the right and saw the icon. :)

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to a highlight class or something though? Make the thread stick out until it's read, and then simply remove the class after so it blends in with the rest of the forum.

In that way there's special attention drawn to that particular thread the first time, and once it's been read, it blends in with everything else.

Sticky threads are templates just like any others - if you want them to look different, you can just add some extra styling to .discussionListItem.sticky

yup...nobody reads "stickies" unless they're tricked into thinking they are normal threads...but in time...they will start looking for that thumb tack image, too :p

You're absolutely right; I didn't notice it was a sticky. Thanks for sharing your thought process.

I personally like the thumbtack. You still know it's a sticky, but it doesnt look too out of place. My question is, does XF support forum announcements?

Not at present.

Personally, I'd say go for a site-wide notices system, and one notice criteria would be to display the notice only when viewing specific forums (to get the functionality of forum announements as well)

Yeah, I agree that there should be some sort of visual cue other than the pushpin icon, which can be out of the user's field of view on wider monitors like mine. I honestly was trying to figure out why that thread was at the top of the forum each time, and that's when I went over to the right and saw the icon. :)

totally agree. sticky threads are not sticky enough.... they need to be more sticky

Top Bottom