1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does XenForo support sticky threads?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Enigma, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

^^^ what the title says.
  2. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Yes it sure does. It meets most of the standards of a modern forum if not all.
  3. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Like the one at the top of this forum?
  4. WhatChaMissin

WhatChaMissin Active Member

Good question as I don't believe I've seen one as of yet.
  5. Kier

You may be wondering why you hadn't noticed the sticky thread in this forum.

That is the entire point. If sticky threads are highlighted obviously, users suffer from 'sticky blindness' where they start reading the thread list from underneath the stickies, as they assume they have already seen whatever is stuck there.

If you want your users to actually read your stickies, they should look basically identical to normal threads.
    Dinh Thanh, tickedon, dutchbb and 2 others like this.
  6. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

'Random Questions Answered' is a sticky but there is no indication I can see to say it is.

Edit: Kier got there first. :p
  7. Kier

See above.
  8. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

I trust there'll be an admin CP option to turn that on and off?
  9. WhatChaMissin

WhatChaMissin Active Member

Ah, I see it now with the push pin. Maybe an enhancement like a slight color change or a more pronounced separation might be something worth thinking about.
  10. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to a highlight class or something though? Make the thread stick out until it's read, and then simply remove the class after so it blends in with the rest of the forum.

In that way there's special attention drawn to that particular thread the first time, and once it's been read, it blends in with everything else.
  11. Kier

To turn what on and off?
  12. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

To turn highlighting stickies on and off. Some admins (like me) will want their stickies to be separated a little.
  13. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

I assume the ability to have stickies highlighted.
  14. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree that there should be some sort of visual cue other than the pushpin icon, which can be out of the user's field of view on wider monitors like mine. I honestly was trying to figure out why that thread was at the top of the forum each time, and that's when I went over to the right and saw the icon. :)
    aculate likes this.
  15. Kier

Sticky threads are templates just like any others - if you want them to look different, you can just add some extra styling to .discussionListItem.sticky
    Onimua likes this.
  16. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

yup...nobody reads "stickies" unless they're tricked into thinking they are normal threads...but in time...they will start looking for that thumb tack image, too :p
  17. tecknical

tecknical Member

I personally like the thumbtack. You still know it's a sticky, but it doesnt look too out of place. My question is, does XF support forum announcements?
  18. Kier

Not at present.
  19. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right; I didn't notice it was a sticky. Thanks for sharing your thought process.

Personally, I'd say go for a site-wide notices system, and one notice criteria would be to display the notice only when viewing specific forums (to get the functionality of forum announements as well)
  20. aculate

aculate Well-Known Member

totally agree. sticky threads are not sticky enough.... they need to be more sticky