Do you plan to run XenForo beta live?

Puntocom

I can't wait to make a live board with XenForo, although it's in beta, I suppose there will be no problems, so I will probably run a new community the first day XenForo is available.

And you?

I don't know if it will go live at first. I want to get it right the day it opens. I think I will be getting it ready to go live and when I have it the way I want it then it will go live.

What is 'live'?

If you mean relying on the forum software working correctly, and relying on the content posted being preserved, then I don't think so.

But may have a publicly accessible website for people to learn & play with.

I can't move my main forum to it because we have a PP gallery ( PhotoPost = :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ) and IPB/vB Arcade. Once someone ports or rewrites the Arcade for XF, and I can twist my co-administrator's arm ;) about ditching PP, we'll go XF in a heart beat.

But I will buy a license on day 1 regardless.

I can't move my main forum to it because we have a PP gallery ( PhotoPost = :( :( :( :( :( :( :( ) and IPB/vB Arcade. Once someone ports or rewrites the Arcade for XF, and I can twist my co-administrator's arm ;) about ditching PP, we'll go XF in a heart beat.

But I will buy a license on day 1 regardless.

I am glad I never infected my site with those addons :p

Aww the arcade is awesome. Once you download about 1,000 games and delete the 927 of them which don't work or suck. ;)

We used to have a vB Gallery with vB3.6 and as you know vB Gallery didn't have any updates for a while due to a minor legal entanglement. So I went ahead and upgraded vB to 3.7 and turned off the gallery. Then vB Gallery got an update and I never finished the upgrade. Then my co-admin convinced me to get PP and paid for it. PP is the most godawful piece of crap I have ever experienced. I could slap together a better control panel in Notepad the afternoon following an all-night bender.

No.

I'm highlydisappointed from xenforo. first, it will not have rtl support for the stable release, which is not acceptable. second, I believe they rushed into releasing it too soon. what we see here is very exciting... but yet it lacks out of features and not finished.

So, yeah, basically I really like it. but i'll buy it only when (and if) it'll be really ready.

I don't think that we are going to migrate any of our vBulletins to XenForo before there is a final release.

We might start a new one with the beta though. Not sure yet.

No.

I'm highlydisappointed from xenforo. first, it will not have rtl support for the stable release, which is not acceptable. second, I believe they rushed into releasing it too soon. what we see here is very exciting... but yet it lacks out of features and not finished.

So, yeah, basically I really like it. but i'll buy it only when (and if) it'll be really ready.

Rushed? Doubtful.

Omri L. said:
No.

So, yeah, I like, but i'll buy when (and if) it'll be really ready.
Well that was blunt, but honest. XF needs to know why some customers may be on the fence, to help them decide what will be in XenForo 1.1, 1.5, 2.0, etc. I don't know what % of vB sales were international, and I don't know how quick international sites are to upgrade to new versions of the software (another sales consideration). I think to add RTL, they want to do it right, not the horrible kludges used in later versions of vB.

I think that XenForo chose a clearly defined set of goals and features to deliver, and they've focused on making those features the best they can.

Remember, vBulletin 3.0 added a language system, and vBulletin 3.5 added a Plugin system. XenForo is launching a new platform AND a plugin system AND language support and it's doing that all with version 1.0. It's one thing to launch software which is relatively "closed" like vB2 because it's a predictable environment. It's quite another to launch a product that is so open to tweaking and administrator additions. They're taking a chance that Support might consume more time than they realized.

Several people have seen and used XenForo, including Floris, but until it's in the hands of many people who try to style it, write plugins, create a new language, play with usergroups, etc. and really push the software to its limits, we won't know how long the Beta cycle will be. I think Kier and Mike have demonstrated in the past that they will never push a release date to meet any goal except quality.

I'm very excited (but patient) to see how the Beta plays out. I am fully braced for any kind of pitfalls or problems which might push things back. I know people are frustrated with vB, but I think some faith needs to be applied here to XF. So far, XF have spoken with actions, rather than words, by showing videos of how the software works.

I have faith in Kier and Mike, and will buy a license on day 1 because they have demonstrated that they know how to build forum software. So far, IB has not demonstrated this in any of their communications or what they have delivered.

phpBB, like any forum software, developed organically. So they've bolted on permissions for Users, Usergroups, and Forums, and it's a nightmare. And it's a devil to try to do plugins. Of course I also remember that phpBB 3 was a real surprise when it came out. phpBB2 had been out forever and people were installing dozens of code mods just to make it decent.

Now you understand why Kier and Mike pushed IB for over a year to start from scratch for vB4. It's impossible to graft the kind of extendable core that XenForo has onto a procedurally-written codebase like vBulletin. Hopefully the folks at phpBB will realize that the only sane thing to do is start with a white piece of paper for phpBB 4.

In 1999, Apple computer scrapped their operating system. This was back when they didn't have mp3 players or any other products to support their bottom line. They had computers and that's it. It was one of the biggest gambles of any company. They built a totally new OS using BSD/NeXT as a foundation. Last I checked, Apple just surpassed Microsoft.

Remember, vBulletin 3.0 added a language system, and vBulletin 3.5 added a Plugin system. XenForo is launching a new platform AND a plugin system AND language support and it's doing that all with version 1.0.

If they made software that acts like vB2 these days, they wouldn't have sell any copy. so, sure, they must adjust the software to nowdays requirments. with that said, I really love this software, but i'll just keep watching it until it will suitable for me.

After going through a beta test period for our site, and we're comfortable enough with this new product, we will run it. Be it rc1 or beta2 or the gold version. No use rushing it. But I am sure things will go smoothly.

It never hurts waiting at least a short bit so you can check your permissions and learn the system - and having people report unfound bigger bugs, before overwhelming your community with something.

Training your staff members with a new product never hurts as well.

Jumping in, fine too. But I have no reason to rush it.

In terms of innovation, XF is streets ahead of where VB was at the same time in its development. Whilst it's natural for consumers to expect more from a product, I think it's worth taking the time to truly appreciate the level of design and thought that has gone into XF.

Aww the arcade is awesome. Once you download about 1,000 games and delete the 927 of them which don't work or suck. ;)

We used to have a vB Gallery with vB3.6 and as you know vB Gallery didn't have any updates for a while due to a minor legal entanglement. So I went ahead and upgraded vB to 3.7 and turned off the gallery. Then vB Gallery got an update and I never finished the upgrade. Then my co-admin convinced me to get PP and paid for it. PP is the most godawful piece of crap I have ever experienced. I could slap together a better control panel in Notepad the afternoon following an all-night bender.

I'm in somewhat of a similar boat. My users love the arcade, though I have way less games. I found a nice place to get games from, and I test them before I even bother downloading. It's limited to a 10 downloads per day, but that works fine for me.

I use vBGallery, and that works pretty alright for me, especially the newest version on vB4. It's easy to configure, and integrates really nicely.But as much as I appreciate the vBGallery package, I'll not hesitate to jump to something else that meets my criteria when gallery software for XF starts coming out :)

OT, Yes. I recently started a sister site for one of my main sites, and used SMF or whatever it is called. I ended up taking it down because it only ended up getting spammed. XF will replace it there, and will hopefully give both users as well as my staff a nice way to get familiar with the software so I can start planning for migrating the big sites over as soon as an Arcade and Gallery are released.

Top Bottom