1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like the forum description on hover only?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by holder10, Aug 21, 2010.

?

Do you like the forum description appearing only when hovering the forum name?

1. Yes

54.5%
  2. No

45.5%
  1. holder10

holder10 Active Member

Hi,

the description of forums on the forum list only appears on hover and the forum stats are placed way more prominently instead on XenForo. I'm not sure if this is the right way. What do you think about it?

Cheers,
    holder10

2. Been Told

Been Told Well-Known Member

At first I liked it a lot, now I'm not so keen anymore. That may change at any point though lol.

3. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

I like it.

4. anotheralias

anotheralias Well-Known Member

I suspect I'll be in the minority here, but I like it. Often the forum descriptions are pretty self-evident anyway, like ...

Introduce Yourself! In this forum, you can tell us something about yourself, and we can offer up an official greeting.
    Off-topic Discuss anything not related to The Topic, yep anything at all! Sit back, relax, and talk away!

Lawrence likes this.
  5. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

6. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Sador, i didn't get an Alert for your post? Is that a bug or just wait for the cron job to run?

7. holder10

holder10 Active Member

You make a good point there, I observed that as well. I'm just not sure if stats are really more important than the description. Plus, I'm not a fan of long descriptions appearing like this on that many elements.

8. Been Told

Been Told Well-Known Member

I should point out that what I dislike isn't not seeing them until I hover the mouse over the forum link. I dislike it popping up when I hover the mouse over the forum link.

9. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I like it here, but I'm not sure if I will on our forums. I would like to suggest an Admin option to always show the description.

10. Sador

Sador Well-Known Member

Why would you get an alert for my post? I didn't quote you and you're not following me... :p

11. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

nvm i thought i get alerts for threads i post in lol

12. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

I would sooner see the forum description the old way that forums generally show it as text under the forum title

13. CBI Web

CBI Web Well-Known Member

Perhaps it should be an admin option.

Show forum descriptions on hover? - Yes | No

If 'No' is chosen, admins need to enter the description themselves, as we've done since the beginning of time.

14. Sejper

Sejper Active Member

It can be solved by an very simple template edit so there is no need for an admin option.

15. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

Agreed, Kier has already showed that the descriptions are under the titles originally and it is only JS that makes it into a hover so you disable that bit of JS and it is done...

16. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

This is not something that you want to do in templates IMO. It's really a personal thing and a lot of people would want the option to quickly enable/disable, so it makes much sense to make it an admin option. Actually, it makes even more sense to make it a user CP option, since it's so personal.

darkon, Dragonfly and Lost like this.
  17. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Now, there is an idea :).

And no, I do not like the hover, especially when it comes to new members to my platform. Obviously. So that is why I like your idea of an UserCP options very much.

18. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

I'd second that idea. Good thinking.

19. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

But how many people would actually bother with it? Most people don't bother with settings as it is.

The problem with the personal approach is that we would end up with a lot of things as an option in the ACP or the UCP because people like to see things in different ways, and it was that series of options that ended up making vBulletin somewhat bloated; there's practically a switch for everything, even the most trivial of things, when really there shouldn't be.

Right now it's as simple as removing a small bit of line in a template if I remember a post by Kier correctly. If you don't want it on your board, remove it and you're done.

JmSevoro likes this.
  20. GameR

GameR Active Member

i miss: i don't know. ;)

I think, is not bad, but is odd.