Do you like the forum description on hover only?

holder10

Hi,

the description of forums on the forum list only appears on hover and the forum stats are placed way more prominently instead on XenForo. I'm not sure if this is the right way. What do you think about it?

Cheers,
holder10

I suspect I'll be in the minority here, but I like it. Often the forum descriptions are pretty self-evident anyway, like ...

Introduce Yourself! In this forum, you can tell us something about yourself, and we can offer up an official greeting.
Off-topic Discuss anything not related to The Topic, yep anything at all! Sit back, relax, and talk away!

I suspect I'll be in the minority here, but I like it. Often the forum descriptions are pretty self-evident anyway, like ...

Introduce Yourself! In this forum, you can tell us something about yourself, and we can offer up an official greeting.
Off-topic Discuss anything not related to The Topic, yep anything at all! Sit back, relax, and talk away!

You make a good point there, I observed that as well. I'm just not sure if stats are really more important than the description. Plus, I'm not a fan of long descriptions appearing like this on that many elements.

I should point out that what I dislike isn't not seeing them until I hover the mouse over the forum link. I dislike it popping up when I hover the mouse over the forum link.

Perhaps it should be an admin option.

Show forum descriptions on hover? - Yes | No

If 'No' is chosen, admins need to enter the description themselves, as we've done since the beginning of time.

It can be solved by an very simple template edit so there is no need for an admin option.
This is not something that you want to do in templates IMO. It's really a personal thing and a lot of people would want the option to quickly enable/disable, so it makes much sense to make it an admin option. Actually, it makes even more sense to make it a user CP option, since it's so personal.

Actually, it makes even more sense to make it a user CP option, since it's so personal.

Now, there is an idea :).

And no, I do not like the hover, especially when it comes to new members to my platform. Obviously. So that is why I like your idea of an UserCP options very much.

3 forum home points that could be re-examined

I have 3 instances where I think the outstanding interface of XenForo could be different/re-examined. And they all have to do with forumoverview:

• Forum descriptions only show on mouse-over. Making it hard for new users to our platform to see at a glance what the forums are about (Kier stated it can be changed with a very easy template edit)
  • Subforums are hidden behind an arrow/dropdown
  • <>

This is not something that you want to do in templates IMO. It's really a personal thing and a lot of people would want the option to quickly enable/disable, so it makes much sense to make it an admin option. Actually, it makes even more sense to make it a user CP option, since it's so personal.

I'd second that idea. Good thinking.

But how many people would actually bother with it? Most people don't bother with settings as it is.

The problem with the personal approach is that we would end up with a lot of things as an option in the ACP or the UCP because people like to see things in different ways, and it was that series of options that ended up making vBulletin somewhat bloated; there's practically a switch for everything, even the most trivial of things, when really there shouldn't be.

Right now it's as simple as removing a small bit of line in a template if I remember a post by Kier correctly. If you don't want it on your board, remove it and you're done.

Top Bottom