Disqus - is it catching on ?

You've answered your own question.

Yes. More people are using it. It's becoming more popular. It is catching on.

I've used it from an end user perspective a few years ago. I found it pretty ghastly.

Never used it from an admin side of things, but obviously people must see some benefit to it as it is becoming quite widely adopted. I've probably seen an equal number of people adopting Facebook comments, though.

I preferred Livefyre until XenScripts allowed me to link the forum and WP comments. I wish Disqus or Livefyre would work with XenScripts - now that would be powerful.

DISQUS? That damnned wordpress is responsible for killing our traffic. The nasty JavaScript error resulted into over 99k errors on our webiste - all 404s. Google now crawls our site slower. I've switched back to default commenting system.

I don't see me going back to Disqus again. The price we've paid is too big, for no fault of ours. (n)

Disqus is definitely growing. The more sites that use it the less people need to register to comment on each site. It works and people like it, at least the general consumer, so yup, it is catching on. Most sites I've worked with or looking at having WP always discuss using Disqus as people don't need to register for that site (another one!) and will be more prone to participate.

I recently installed disqus on my personal blog and I really like it. I don't know anything about its effect on SEO. My sites not popular anyway so I don't mind it. I am seeing a lot of news sites changing to disqus to manage comments.

Well - there are way too many features found in a forum that are lacking in a comment form.
Why are lots of sites choosing disqus then ?
A lack of knowledge about good forum software ?

I just thought of this ... would it be a good idea to have a disqus login option for xenforo to go along with the twitter and facebook logins ?

I use disqus for Arcade comments. Don't care if it's catching on or not. Long as it gets the job done.

I comment on ign.com disqus comments occasionally.

To me it seems that Disqus might be reaching a "critical mass".
2 years ago, I wouldn't use Disqus because I felt it wasn't popular enough. Why have Disqus comments when no one has Disqus ?
Now, Disqus seems like a viable option as there is a somewhat reasonable chance a potential blog commenter has a Disqus login already.

I think many Blogs could benefit from Disqus commenting without the hassle of running a full blown forum software.
Especially wordpress blogs.

Why are lots of sites choosing disqus then ?
A lack of knowledge about good forum software ?

I just thought of this ... would it be a good idea to have a disqus login option for xenforo to go along with the twitter and facebook logins ?

Integration of forums and WP is a challenge rarely addressed over the long run because developers go off in their own directions. However, for now, XenScripts allows all of my sites to have a common login and password.

If someone could login to XF using Disqus then it would enhance all XF sites. Clever idea.

Integration of forums and WP is a challenge rarely addressed over the long run because developers go off in their own directions. However, for now, XenScripts allows all of my sites to have a common login and password.

If someone could login to XF using Disqus then it would enhance all XF sites. Clever idea.

Or how about doing a single sign in from wordpress INTO Xenforo? A person logs in via wordpress and is automatically logged into Xenforo?

I was using IntenseDebate for Wordpress on a few of my sites, but I don't see discussions taking place.

I installed Disqus due to the low activity, and it's live on a brand new site - MW4Blog.
Or how about doing a single sign in from wordpress INTO Xenforo? A person logs in via wordpress and is automatically logged into Xenforo?
I'd love to have that, but the way it sounds - it's complicated. And it may invite security problem(s). An admin site tried the SSO thing on two different xenForo'es, and what happened was that it caused a lot of database errors, and downtimes - Brandon ultimately removed the hack and merged the two sites together.

I've been interested in this for a while now and have just smashed some code up and I'm quite happy with the results, the only problem is that I'm not able to get alerts via xenforo when using disqus, I wonder if this could be done? I've removed the quick reply box and use disqus as my main quick reply comment system (a work in progress lol). If anyone has any idea's? post them up please. Here's a simple demo.

View attachment 47147
Trying to decide if you guys are on the same page.

Top Bottom