Disqus - is it catching on ?

I'm noticing a lot of Wordpress sites using Diqus to help drive traffic but my concern would be the separate login issue. Is anyone using Wordpress with Disqus as their front end and Xenforo for forums? If so, how is having separate logins for Wordpress and Xenforo working out?

I'm noticing a lot of Wordpress sites using Diqus to help drive traffic but my concern would be the separate login issue. Is anyone using Wordpress with Disqus as their front end and Xenforo for forums? If so, how is having separate logins for Wordpress and Xenforo working out?

Honestly, since hearing of discuss nearly a year ago, I have yet to wander onto a site using it...

You've answered your own question.

Yes. More people are using it. It's becoming more popular. It is catching on.

I've used it from an end user perspective a few years ago. I found it pretty ghastly.

Never used it from an admin side of things, but obviously people must see some benefit to it as it is becoming quite widely adopted. I've probably seen an equal number of people adopting Facebook comments, though.
I think Facebook comments will kill Disqus, if it has not already.

Yeah, it's probably not worth the hassle. We've tried both of the available Wordpress/Xenforo bridges available here and there are some serious disadvantages with both. I think we're just going to use Disqus directly for the Wordpress comments and forget about bridging. Disqus is fantastic for driving traffic, which offsets the downside of having separate logins for the forum.

google.trends.disqus.xenforo.2013.webp

I didn't know Disqus was around in 2008.

We're using Disqus on a blog that will launch in a week or two. Main reason I went with it is because we'll have a staff of four of us monitoring all comments (which will be moderated) and their admin panel for approving or weeding out posts beats the poor comments handling native to WordPress. That and it offers features such as IP or email blacklisting and whitelisting, and we can even offer guest commenting so visitors can still use Disqus but need not have to sign up to make a comment.

The only other viable option was IntenseDebate, but I had issues trying to sign up for it (took me three tries).

I will never ever force anyone to sign up to facebook in order to post comments. I despise that company and its operations on multiple levels, and dislike their "walled fortress" way of doing things. It is just a lazy, cheap way out IMHO, and it offers no way to assign a staff to moderate comments. Yeah, some think it's "cool", but they are limiting comments to only one social media network, which is only a subset of users on the entire Internet.

I use Disqus on my blog (no forum) and I really like it. It is much better than the default commenting form and all the different login options make it easy for people to participate.

Never had any issues with it.

Top Bottom